feeding bristle nose catfish to turtles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i wouldnt feed, they have a barb which could do some damage

I have heard that the barbs on a Bristlenose catfish can cause paralysis to other fish, so be careful they don't harm the turtles in the same way. They are quite similar to flathead.

Fish and insects are the only animals I know of that can be legally fed live to other animals. Don't you think that is hypercritical considering crabs and the like are boiled alive.

I thought feeding live vertebrates was illegal.
yeah but the fish are sold as feeders. and with rodents etc the law says if the animal wont eat dead ones you can feed live. really its just a code of practice.

I have heard that the barbs on a Bristlenose catfish can cause paralysis to other fish, so be careful they don't harm the turtles in the same way. They are quite similar to flathead.

Is this from the barb or are they toxic or something?
I feed any fish i get to my turtles and just cut them up so they are safe to eat.

Maybe better of not doing it until you find out if they are toxic or not, personally i would suspect it is just the spikyness and associated venom :?

i have kept nd bred pepermint, albino and common bristles so i no abit about them and i highly doub a 1.5cm bristles little spikes would do any damage to a turtle considering what a turtle would eat in the wild if you wanna check out a bristle and check the spikes are located on the side of the mouth roughly in line with the eyes

i would probably take them to the petshop and trade them for feeder fish. you would probably get about 1.50-2.00 each for them which doesn't sound much but if u have heaps it will add up. you may have to wait till they grown another cm or so though.

i used to breed bristlenose years ago and i got $3 for them all day every day for babies from an ad in the local newspaper. you want live food for your turtles i am sure you could do better eg catch gambusia from the local creek for free and pond snails for free too and get some floating plants and anchored plants and there you go ....free food, hang on there's more...garden worms from your backyard again free.
Sell your bristlenose and buy a pair of endangered turtles with the money rather than waste it.

thaks for the input i think i will take them to the pet shop i like that idea.

I've seen someone's arowana go at a poor little mouse:(It wasn't quick at all, and certainly wasn't pretty:(
Also seen someone feed a mouse to a bunch of pirahnas... That was even worse than the arowana thing:(
I'm a vegetarian...:p...I don't enjoy such things..
Vegetarian is an old world for "crap hunter" hahaha. I saw that on a sticker once.
Animals eat animals all the time...

Fish and insects are the only animals I know of that can be legally fed live to other animals. Don't you think that is hypercritical considering crabs and the like are boiled alive.

They contain no venom, therefor will cause infection and pain only.

A mary river turtle isnt something to buy without thinking it through, they a bloody big turtles and would probably require more than most can provide in the long term IMO.

Don't you dare feed bristlenose to turtles

Sell them, they're always in demand in pet shops.

You better watch what you say, there are alot of fanatical antipetshop types on this site, apparantly anyone supporting any petshop is evil :lol:

The only reason i didnt suggest taking them to the petshop is because i thought that would have already been considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back