Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
marc said:
don't worry about me I am not going away......lets call it a truce (not sure how to spell that) "but lets be friends :p
I'm still not sure if I was the one who through some misunderstanding upset you? Glad you're still around in either case.

Hey HIS whats the calorific value of the shell? If ya gonna give us info at least makle it complete info :) Hheehehehe, LOL, haha j/k :)

Parko said:
marc said:
don't worry about me I am not going away......lets call it a truce (not sure how to spell that) "but lets be friends :p
I'm still not sure if I was the one who through some misunderstanding upset you? Glad you're still around in either case.

nar ....just a couple of ****ty days

lol africa. out of interest though an egg shell contains around 94% Calcium Carbonate, so an average egg shell would have about 2 grams of calcium. certainly helpful :)
i gotta say i'm considering giving this a shot sometime... it's kinda interesting anyway. im sure a well fed rat would have a more well-rounded goodness though, still...

water python will eat goose eggs.
i'm not sure about nutritional value.

Eggs are high in fat, but contain everything that a rat does in terms of vitamins / minerals. They ARE a complete animal. They have a higher caloric value than red meat (unable to get an exact caloric value for whole rats.) This means that not only would eggs supply all a pythons nutritional needs, they would actually promote faster growth than feeder rodents. However, they are severely lacking in fibre, meaning your snake won't poo after a feed of eggs.

Yes I have also seen snakes eating eggs but it is limited to a specific breed.The inside of an egg is actually packed with protein and is good for alot of nutrition however our pythons will not take them. I have a chicken and duck coup out the back as I breed both to feed to my big snakes and I will try several of my different pythons for you all but I am sure of the outcome( one crushed egg if the python bites it) you see the species in Africa knows how to eat eggs our pythons would probably think it needs to bite and constrict it wereas the other species knows to swallow without biting first. :roll:

Just a quick comment. Snakes will sometimes inadvertantly consume an item that has been scented with it's normal diet i.e rats or smells of something they think they like the scent of.
We had an olive swallow a beach towel because of the scent of rats over the towel and also because it just has a foul disposition. No ill effects suffered by the snake but definately some what if's on our end. There are also numerous cases of scrubbies ingesting bedding used by dogs and cats and if I am recalling correctly there was a case of a python eating the dummy balls(golf balls) placed in a chook pen that the hens had been laying on.

Rina Wrote:
We had an olive swallow a beach towel because of the scent of rats over the towel and also because it just has a foul disposition. No ill effects suffered by the snake but definately some what if's on our end.

Which end did you get the towel out ?!?

It regurgitated it in a very compacted form>

Rina I believe that the snake was good size to absorb big beachtowel.

Water_Eating_Egg2.sized.jpg

Water_Eating_Egg3.sized.jpg

Raw eggs, straight from the chook house.
This pythons is a pain to feed: she eats, but you have to leave the rat in overnight with her and hope it's gone in the morning. Figured if she will take eggs, they can stay in there for a week if necessary and be used for other purposes if she doesn't want them. She ate 5 eggs last night and the other female ate 2. Waiting to see what the poo is like, not too messy I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back