Feeding live...birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessb

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've heard all the arguments against feeding live mammals to snakes, but are there different regulations on feeding live birds? In terms of damaging your snake, I wouldn't imagine a quail or chick could do much damage (compared to a rat).

Are the reasons against it just humane ones?

NB I'm not planning to do it, just curious!

theres nothing against the law, when it comes to feeding live animals as feeders, the only issues as you mentioned are your animal getting damaged, and yes your right quails don't do much damage to your python.

theres nothing against the law, when it comes to feeding live animals as feeders, the only issues as you mentioned are your animal getting damaged, and yes your right quails don't do much damage to your python.

Are you saying its not illegal?

I don't know about birds but feeding live mice and rats is definately against the law.

It is illegal in the state of Queesnland to feed ANY live animal to another.

Feeding live birds to a snake which will accept dead ones is illegal.

What about fish? Lots of people feed live fish to their snakes.

pffft haha.. its illegal to feed live to your snake.whether people listen and care is another thing.Everyday these stupid topics come up and then wonder why people do feed live. every post is giving another person a reason to feed live.its not a matter of the quails hurting your snake . thats not the reason its illegal its illegal because its inhumane and not necessary! which is why there available frozen god dam it. the mods should just wipe these posts. theres to many, surely everyones sick of it

no its not

43 Animals used to feed another animal​
It is an offence exemption for an offence for a person if—
(a) the act that constitutes the offence involves using an
animal (the​
food animal) as live food for another animal
(the
fed animal); and
(b) the food animal and the fed animal are both lawfully
kept by the person; and
(c) the fed animal will only eat the food animal if it is alive;
and
(d) feeding the food animal to the fed animal is essential for

the fed animal’s survival.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/A/AnimalCaPrA01.pdf

lol sdaji..unfortunatly fish never get heard. I spose they may not be able to test whther its "inhumane" for fish as they do with rats and mice

Feeding live birds to a snake which will accept dead ones is illegal.

What about fish? Lots of people feed live fish to their snakes.

Insects too! That's my point - does the distinction lie with mammals? Or vertebrates? Or what?

its not illegal as long as your animal won't accept dead food as sdaji said, there is obviously conditions to feeding live as listed in my previous post, there is also other clauses in the legislation which state basically it is illegal to knowing put your animal in harms way which does pose a problem when feeding live rodents which have nasty teeth

43 Animals used to feed another animal
It is an offence exemption for an offence for a person if—
(c) the fed animal will only eat the food animal if it is alive;
and
(d) feeding the food animal to the fed animal is essential for
the fed animal’s survival.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/A/AnimalCaPrA01.pdf

You just answered your own post there, it is illegal to feed live, unless the python/snake is in a life threatening state, and will not eat dead.

yeh but pking people are talking about feeding live quail right? well your post just stated it is only to be fed live basically for the animals survival(incase it wont eat frozen).. the person was talking about it not being inhumane for the quails nor risky to the snake. she never said she had trouble feeding. she just thinks a quail wont suffer as much as a rat or mouse. nor will it hurt her snake which therefre becomes ILLEGAL as its not a necessary to feed live quail(well at least she never said that either)

I was told by one of the largest native fish producers in the country that feeding a live vertabrate is against the law. Not insects. It makes me wonder though, in the code of practice for reptile husbandry it states how some snakes don't accept mice and live fish can be placed in their water bowl. So i don't know.

actually... linking this to the other thread, and the jamie oliver thing...

50% of all egg/food chickens breeed are wasted (males)
it would be awesome if a proportion of those were saved and used in a pet food trade like rats
they should essentially be free... as they are waste, and means less animals world wide are destroyed for food

Hm, seems to me your just blatantly saying its ok, where the conditions you mentioned?

actually... linking this to the other thread, and the jamie oliver thing...

50% of all egg/food chickens breeed are wasted (males)
it would be awesome if a proportion of those were saved and used in a pet food trade like rats
they should essentially be free... as they are waste, and means less animals world wide are destroyed for food
I heard the male chickens are sold to pet meat places, wings, necks, mince etc.

seems to me pking needs to recheck hes references and come back to us when he realises what he said was wrong.like i said its the people like you that we have problems getting through too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back