Feeding live...birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you have a great point there forensik.. its just a matter of where do we start?

Umm, sidetracking from the main topic here but how many people have actually successfully fed their snakes a live fish sitting in a water bowl?

Umm, sidetracking from the main topic here but how many people have actually successfully fed their snakes a live fish sitting in a water bowl?

Many of us have, but it's mostly for snakes like Common Treesnakes, Keelbacks, and elapids, especially babies and small species.

Feeder fish are openly sold in pet shops, including in QLD, specifically to be fed live.

Green Tree snakes take them readily and fish are sometimes the only food source they will take in captivity.

I was told by one of the largest native fish producers in the country that feeding a live vertabrate is against the law. Not insects. It makes me wonder though, in the code of practice for reptile husbandry it states how some snakes don't accept mice and live fish can be placed in their water bowl. So i don't know.

That is my point - where does the definition lie? if you read my post properly, you would see that I'm not condoning or encouraging it, just curious as to what is acceptable , both morally and legally.

Forensick, on Jamie Oliver's show they explained that that is exactly what does happen to many of the culled chicks - they go to zoos to feed the pythons. It's probably not worth their while to sell to individual buyers tho. I might be making incorrect assumptions here, but I always thought that was where Pythoness's chicks came from...

That is my point - where does the definition lie? if you read my post properly, you would see that I'm not condoning or encouraging it, just curious as to what is acceptable , both morally and legally.

Forensick, on Jamie Oliver's show they explained that that is exactly what does happen to many of the culled chicks - they go to zoos to feed the pythons. It's probably not worth their while to sell to individual buyers tho. I might be making incorrect assumptions here, but I always thought that was where Pythoness's chicks came from...

oh... cool... at least they arrent totally wasted

ive read it pking and whats your point to it.. you ar ethe one that made the wrong post about it saying its not illegal, and then burrying yourself even more by putting the legislation on the page stating its illegal!

you cant prove a point when theres not facts to prove it. the point was made tat first you said its not illegal then you put a legislation up saying it is.. so what do you think it is?

its not illegal it doesn't state in the legislation or what i posted it is maybe I should have put more effort into my first post saying that its not illegal to feed live food if its necessary too and what other reason is there to feed live??

From Pking - theres nothing against the law, when it comes to feeding live animals as feeders, the only issues as you mentioned are your animal getting damaged, and yes your right quails don't do much damage to your python.

You did it again.. Yes it is illegal. UNless your snake will not eat pre killed or frozen.

its alright pking dont worry. i wont fight with you over a legislation.. as long as you know(or think you know) whats legal and ILLEGAL thats fine. everyone to there own. but yeh next time better wording couldnt go a stray as it wasnt only me backing it

dont try turn it around lol.. you know where it started. the point is in the first place you said - From Pking - theres nothing against the law, when it comes to feeding live animals as feeders.
well ermmmmmm yes there is. but i think everyone knows what im getting at so we will shake on it hehe

Feeding live any live prey is CRUEL

I do not think it right or neccessary to feed live animals to anything! :x No matter what the purpose put forward, it is still cruel and inhumane. That is why groups like the RSPCA exist. Before anyone starts going off at me, (and there will be some), at least prey animals stand a 'sporting' chance in the wild. I believe that people need to stop and think about the possible stress, injury the bird (or rodent could suffer)

Btw, I'm not having a go at anyone in particular. :)

I do not think it right or neccessary to feed live animals to anything! :x No matter what the purpose put forward, it is still cruel and inhumane. That is why groups like the RSPCA exist. Before anyone starts going off at me, (and there will be some), at least prey animals stand a 'sporting' chance in the wild. I believe that people need to stop and think about the possible stress, injury the bird (or rodent could suffer)

Btw, I'm not having a go at anyone in particular. :)

Thats exactly right, I hate people that say its perfectly natural when its not. In the wild the prey has a chance of escape - IF it gets caught, hey its sad but thats life.

In a captive environment there is NO chance, which I see as very cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back