Feeding live...birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the reason it is legal to feed live fish as aposed to mice, rats, quails, chicks, etc etc etc is because fish cant feel pain. or no research has been done to prove otherwise. i dont know this as fact. it is just info i have been told.

the reason it is legal to feed live fish as aposed to mice, rats, quails, chicks, etc etc etc is because fish cant feel pain. or no research has been done to prove otherwise. i dont know this as fact. it is just info i have been told.

OMG, you can't be serious? Of course fish feel pain....every living thing does.

it is against the law to feed live but let me just say that a chick or quail can do the same amount of damage they can hurt if they bite so i guess the snakes can still be injured as quails can kill each other

Just something overlooked on the danger side of things. As we all know keeping large pythons is pretty common in the states and alot of the keepers over there don't feel much for what they refer to as feeder animals. Chickens have been offerred to feed large pythons with the chickens attacking the snakes tongue resulting in damage to it. Snakes without tongues are generally difficult feeders. Getting back to the live food if the snake is a good feeder it will often smash the food giving it little chance to fight back but live chickens offered to fussy feeders and snakes that like to do some investigating with their tongue flicking first are at risk. The chickens apparently view the tongue as a worm or something edible and attack it. I would imagine it possible that quails might do the same.

Personally I wish it was only ever done as a last resort for fussy feeders for the sake of both animals. Your better off not having nematodes, cestodes etc passed onto your snakes by feeding out live food but someone will always beg to differ.

If anyone does have a fussy feeder and was to do it they are better off knowing the above and not leave the offered food item in there unattended.

Regards

pffft haha.. its illegal to feed live to your snake.whether people listen and care is another thing.Everyday these stupid topics come up and then wonder why people do feed live. every post is giving another person a reason to feed live.its not a matter of the quails hurting your snake . thats not the reason its illegal its illegal because its inhumane and not necessary! which is why there available frozen god dam it. the mods should just wipe these posts. theres to many, surely everyones sick of it

i agree, i agree, i agree!:)

the law, as according to the RSPCA is that you should cause NO animal to suffer, nor and undue stress, killing of any animal should be done humanely, birds are part of the animal world.

you guys deserve medals "Clap Clap Clap" I suppose I should reframe from having a few beers and innapropriately providing confusing information, but none the less you do gooders diserve a medal, Its officiallly time for me to hang up my advice gloves and go back to keeping my herps maybe you guys should think about doing it aswell..

Pking, we are NOT do-gooders, but rather, people who care, and don't want to see any animal suffer because of our own "whatever" needs to see another animal suffer, and it's fear while being hunted and crushed by another animal. It's not necessary, and the well being of our snakes, as well as the animals we feed them, is of the most importance.
Why would ANYONE want to feed live when there is a hugely MUCH better alternative???? Unless they have a fetish about watching an animal panic and suffer while becoming food for another, or fight back and see our own animals hurt and injured.............. if for that reason, then they are no better than people who condone and subscribe to cock-fighting, or dog fighting!
It took years for me to get a snake, as much as I wanted one, I had NO intention of owning one while live animals were fed to them, it was only when I realised that only dead animals could be fed to them tha I actually got one. There should be no need for live feeding these days, knowing the rules, anyone breeding snakes should have the babies on dead feed anyway. End of subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back