feeding pythons wild rabbits

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bacteria in a freshly killed rabbit would be the same as in a freshly killed rat. Unless there was a massive infection in the rabbit already then you wouldnt have a problem.
Most of the bacteria that causes an infection in an animal is aready there but because of some other underlying disease process it has allowed this normal flora to proliferate. This normal bacteria is meant to grow on a warm blooded animals so around 37 degrees is ideal growth conditions. Putting it in the freezer will kill most of of the organisms.
Most of the bacteria on the rat/rabbit is already normally in the mouth/digestive tract of the snake already. These include E.coli, Streptococcus sp, Staphylococcus sp, Pseudomonas sp and in reptiles Slamonella sp. Humans have all the listed bacteria normally except Salmonella.

Hope this helps

Jonny

Use a bow. I no in my area they have posioned rabbits a while ago. By law signs have to be put around and i think council needs to be aware so try ringing ur council.

I imagine feeding wild rabbits would carry the same risk as wild rats or mice but why would you bother taking food out of the wild envirinment for a captive environment. What will the wild animals eat? Lambs, Calves?

The length of A peice of string is from one end to the middle and back again Easy

Is mixamatosis a problem around there? That always put me off feeding feral rabbits to any of my snakes.

If you shoot a rabbit with mixo its not real hard to tell just look at its eyes
I would be worried about hidadids and the like. Is it really worth risking your snake for a $7 Rabbit

They're using radioactive poisons now?

Biodegradable pesticides also have a half life...

Most bacteria are not killed by the freezing process but can remain dormant (form endospores) - this is why stuff doesn't go off in the freezer! But at -18 - most things will survive, but not be able to grow. Re-heat and re-infect!

Some - yes some, may be destroyed by the freezing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back