Feeding wild caught fish?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiesnakelover

Reaction score
is it ok?
i live in the NT if that makes a difference
has anyone ver done this before? if so was it alright?
did they get worms from them?

i would be feeding them to my file snake, turtles and mertens
the shop i buy my feeder fish from anyway catch them locally, would they treat them for worms etc?

I feed some of my animals wild caught fish (I catch them myself). I've never had a problem and certainly nothing has ever had worms. For the last few years I've always frozen the fish for at least a month before using them. A few years ago I used to feed my keelbacks live wild fish. They never got worms, but after I stopped feeding them live wild fish, I did worm them a couple of times, just for good measure.

Your local shop won't be treating the fish for worms.

yeh i want to use them to keep them active give them something to do and filesnake dont take dead fish anyway
i caught these myself to, i just have them in a large tub right now and waiting on what people have to say
thanks for your input

lol your point?
i like 6 an hour lol im 15......
and why would you say its medically wrong if you dont know it is?

Well if my pond is wild i do it all the time and sometimes i go and catch wild food but hardly ever these days, never had a problem myself.
A cast net in tidal waters works great(check local laws). Legal size limits can make it very hard to get good sized food fish(yet another law i like).

I breed my own swordtails and buy fish flesh for the bulk of the fish i use.

I think freezing the fish would be a good idea, i always freeze fish if im going to feed them to my snakes. If you defrost them with rats/mice its makes the fussier snakes eat them too sometimes.

IMO wild caught fish are generally much healthier than those in petshops. Both have a risk of carrying parasites.

and remember its probably a jailable offence(may depend on what your local laws are) to feed live fish to an animal that wont eat dead food :roll: but its perfectly ok to stick a hook through one and drag it through the water as bait... hmmm makes sence to me :?

Yes, I would thoroughly recommend feeding wild caught fish, otherwise they will die !!
:lol: It would also be illegal not to

lol thanks for help cris, the ???? were to arfros post not yours, well ill freeze some and use rest :) thanks for all the input so far!

remember its probably a jailable offence(may depend on what your local laws are) to feed live fish to an animal that wont eat dead food

Ummm, no its not. RSPCA frowns upon it but it is not illigal. The only illigal circumstance is feeding live animals in a public environment, ie a pet store

Lots of fish in NSW have "anchor worm" but i dont think it effects reptiles, could be wrong though.

I catch gambusia (mosquito fish) as feeder fish. They are a noxious pest so its a win win.

Do you know what species you are catching? Catching native gudgeons or rainbowfish verges on a moral quondry, but all things in limitation eh?

hmmmm

thats interesting never thought of feeding fish

although i also doubt i ever will but that may change as well

Re: RE: Feeding wild caught fish?

fishbot said:
Ummm, no its not. RSPCA frowns upon it but it is not illigal.

Ummm, yes it is. Except in the NT where there is a sub clause to the animal welfare act which allows live food for reptiles.

It is also illegal to take native species from the wild without a permit.

RE: Re: RE: Feeding wild caught fish?

I'm pretty sure fish would be exempt from taking from the wild wiith out a permit. It is only of you try and sell them that you will run into problems.

Daniel I can't see you having any probs with feeding live fish, just do from somewhere around us that is reasonably clean, I would recommend catching them from the salt water rather than fresh. Just cause the only rivers anywhere near us aren't the most pristine environments LOL. Under the yellow bridge at rapid crk would be an alright spot, not far from you, reasonably clean and always has a tonne of mullet in it.

I have some young kids next door who go fishing all the time and bring back little potty mullut to feed to my turtels and even my big water dragons jump in the shallow end and catch them and ive never had a problem with worms, but i think there would be some risk as fish can carry a type of worm that people can catch if the fish isnt cooked properly, not sure what type of worm tho.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Feeding wild caught fish?

waruikazi said:
I'm pretty sure fish would be exempt from taking from the wild wiith out a permit. It is only of you try and sell them that you will run into problems.

I think you would have to be pretty unlucky to be prosecuted, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back