feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Reaction score
How many weaners should i be feeding my diamond at the moment as he 5 months old :?:
bye the way while feeding today i finally got taged :cry:

Hey, i am feeding my Bredl two w/mice a week. Haha I am yet too be bitten, did it hurt.

no it did'nt hurt that much like a needle,so can they eat to much,reason beening he had 5 yesterday

with diamonds it is very important to keep them hungry as it is very easy to over feed them. if you do this your snake will probably die. i would just feed him one weaner every 7-8 days especially this time of year. after that when he is about 12 months old he should be up to about one-two fully grown mice a week.

cheers
charles

I agree with what MM said!
Keep your diamonds hungry.
My sources are other keepers and breeders that I believe are reputable. Based on the info I have gathered from them, I believe this: Over-feeding can result in death, or a shortened lifespan in the least. Don't try to raise diamonds as fast as you would other pythons.

My yearling diamond is being cooled at the moment and will be going without food for 3 months all up. Before begining cooling she was eating 1 weaner rat (or equivalent) every three weeks. Durring summer, heat during the day only, and ambient room temperatures at night (I am in Sydney).

Cheers, :D

IMO, I believe that (adults) should be fed even less. In the wild, most a lot of the time wouldn't get a feed for a few months or more sometimes. I would fed my adults once a month or once every three weeks but juvies maybe one weaner etc a week or once every two weeks
Just my opion though.

I raised my diamonds a bit different. I fed them like a normal snake and when winter comes around i stop feeding them and cool them from around mid april to the end of august.
I do this regardless of age.
I feel that time off from feeding and being cooled is more important than just feeding them less, mine also have plenty of natural sunlight.
Diamonds in the wild have a few months a year in which they can feed and in that time will consume as much as possilbe.

Sorry to go against conventional opinion (again!) but my opinion is : Wild diamonds are gutses! They eat a lot. They have a lot of food available, the area they come from is quite rich in snake food and has been since before European settlement. However, as No one says, they do have a fairly long cooling period. I'm not suggesting power feeding, but the same feeding regime as a coastal or inland is what I would use. We get no diamonds up here unfortunately but all the snake rescuers I know from the Sydeny region who I have talked about it with reckon Diamonds almost always have food in their guts when relocated. I certainly have no problem with feeding every 3 weeks, I reckon any Australian python will do just fine if fed in this manner, I just don't reckon it's necessary.
BTW, 2 large possums would weigh about 5 or 6 Kg, equivalent to about 20 - 25 very large rats or one every 10 days or so during feeding season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back