Field guide for Northen Territory?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah_m

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We are going up to the Northern Territory in 3 weeks and i am looking for a field guide for animals, more specifically reptiles of the Northern Territory, and I CANT FIND ANY!

Does anyone know of any?

try Reedys reptiles i know dave has a book on the reptiles of the katerine area. He might be able to point you in the right direction, watch the crocs at the waters edge :) NT = reptile heaven, such a great place. Enjoy yuor trip you'll be sure to see something reptile related 100% guarentee that.

Thanks, i did see that one but thought i would see if anyone knew of a more general guide, rather than something locality specific.

I know, we cant wait, have been wanting to go for the last 3 years and something has always come up, so we are stoked to finally be going!!!!

where in the nt are you heading? Desert park in Alice is good to have a look through. Fogg Dam is only a short drive from the Darwin airport, some excellent wildlife there- reptiles and birds, just watch the crocs!!

where in the nt are you heading? Desert park in Alice is good to have a look through. Fogg Dam is only a short drive from the Darwin airport, some excellent wildlife there- reptiles and birds, just watch the crocs!!
Not going down that far, have 8 nights in Darwin, with day trips to Litchfield, Katherine, Territory wildlife park etc, then spending 3 nights in Kakadu. Will definately be going to Fogg Dam, also Yellow Water billabong, Windows on the Wetlands and have organised a guided tour to see the waterfalls.

Just wanted to have a little book that i can carry around so if i see something i can figure out what it is.

Check out the Oenpelli python in the territory wildlife park, only one legally in captivity.

I have not seen a book specifically top end but as for size I have snakes of australia dangerous and harmless by peter mirtschin and richard davis. its pretty good just tag the pages of the ones found in the region!
You will have fun up here lots of water pythons & keelbacks at fogg dam

Last edited:
I have not seen a book specifically top end but as for size I have snakes of australia dangerous and harmless by peter mirtschin and richard davis. its pretty good just tag the pages of the ones found in the region!
Thanks, will see if i can get my hands on a copy before we go.

This one would also be quite useful because many NT species are also found in Queensland but the distribution maps it includes are fairly Queensland specific.

[SIZE=+2]NEW RELEASE [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]A FIELD GUIDE TO REPTILES
OF
QUEENSLAND
[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2] By Steve Wilson[/SIZE]

Hi there,

Yeah definitly spot the Arnhem Highway from the Fog Dam turnoff for about the next 15km. You will notice that you drive through floodplains. These are great for seeing Floodplains Rats, Watern Pythons, Keelbacks, Slate Greys, Floodplains Adders, Mulga's and if you walk the side of the road (if the water comes right up) Mcleays Water Snakes.

Also WALK the Fag Dam wall (its a road) and spot with a torch looking on the sides and in the water. You will see most of the species listed above bar Adders. The general area around Fog Dam you will also see Darwin Carpets on the roads if you are lucky.

Litchfield NP near Batcholor is awsome to spot as well. You will see Western Browns, Hill Adders, Carpets, Olives, and other smaller species.

The road from Katherine to Timber Creek is great for Childreni, BHP's, Mulgas and Geckos.

During the day you will see Frillies everywhere if conditions are right ie its started raining

and ive just relised you said "in three weeks" so you might be out of luck with the floodplains, and the frillies, but who knows. As far as field guides go, I agree with HerpTrader....."A complete guide to Reptiles of Australia"

Last edited:
Check out the Oenpelli python in the territory wildlife park, only one legally in captivity.
You will have fun up here lots of water pythons & keelbacks at fogg dam

There's alot more than just one in captivity legally.

I'd reccomend Wilson and Swan. Best feild guide i've seen, not specific to the territory but it would stilll be the most useful.

There's alot more than just one in captivity legally.

Thanks for the update, Who else has one?

I'd reccomend Wilson and Swan. Best feild guide i've seen, not specific to the territory but it would stilll be the most useful.

I agree but I suggested the other one for the size factor (how bigs your back pack)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back