Fifa world cup 2018 & 2022

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SyKeD

Reaction score
Hey there..

This morning at 2am, it was announced that Russia will hold the 2018 world cup and Qatar will hold the 2022 world cup...

Australia Received 1 vote..... Just 1....

Frankly i think its a joke..

Australia is or one of best countries IN THE WORLD.... We have so much to offer!.

We spent 45 Million dollars just to go in the running... Obviously it wasn't enough for the greedy people of FIFA.

I'm REALLY disappointed that we only got 1 vote, they virtually didn't take a second look at us.

What are your thoughts on this?

It's what you get for being a tiny soccer nation. It's not about just politics it's about filling stadiums at every game. I'm a soccer supporter but it's english soccer i support not Australian, that says it all.

It's clear by the overwhelming barrage of responses to this thread how important an issue it is to all.

It's a 5-6th choice sport for many in Australia, it's a religion in many other parts of the world. We were up against it from the start.

girdheinz
It's what you get for being a tiny soccer nation. It's not about just politics it's about filling stadiums at every game. I'm a soccer supporter but it's english soccer i support not Australian, that says it all.

It's clear by the overwhelming barrage of responses to this thread how important an issue it is to all.

It's a 5-6th choice sport for many in Australia, it's a religion in many other parts of the world. We were up against it from the start.​

...atleast we have qualified for the world cup unlike quatar and when was the last time russia did?

I'm not that upset about the whole thing - I thought that corruption, vote fixing and clearly economic sense prevailed.

Australia is a blossoming country - held Commonwealth Games and Olympics - and from my past, the most memorable Olympics ever.

The Rugby World Cup, the Rugby League World Cup, Sevens.... etc etc... The Australian Open... And so on and so on...

There are many things that would suggest Australia, a country of some 22 million people could host the FIFA World Cup... But... There are too many people at the top who believe they have it right with Qatar...

As for football - it's not my sport - I recently took up Futsal (I last played soccer when I was 12) and I do enjoy it. It's more typical to see teams fake it, like when Italy pulled a fast one on Australia and then New Zealand (at South Africa) I've given up on the sport. It's stupid, it's full of Hollywood action stars and it just doesn't make sense...

The only thing that made sense to me was seeing Italy finish last in their pool, knocked out in round one and on top of that - being the worst team along with France... Happiness!

I will watch football again, but there needs to be changes I believe.... So at the moment - I don't think I will ever be alive on the day that Australia wins the bid to host the FIFA World Cup!

But then, not many would believe South Africa could have hosted the cup either!

...atleast we have qualified for the world cup unlike quatar and when was the last time russia did?

Yeah with not one locally based player in the side.

What a crap argument. The middle east is a soccer powerhouse. They have an strong financial base and competition. English premier league managers are heading that way after their current contracts not here.

A lot of the premier league and lower league clubs are owned by middle eastern oil barrons as if anyone else had a chance.

Sentimentally Australia is a good choice but we all know soccer is about dollars. We have a flailing league here, none of our world cup squad was locally based that says it all.

On the case of Russia? You have to be kidding mate. They have one of the strongest European based competitions. Players from there and surrounding countries make up a large percentage of the best sides in the world.

Gird

our country, like South Africa, is in the outer-reaches of the unknown universe. that country has just staged the finals, very sussessful they were. what chances were there that they would return deep into the southern hemisphere, 8 years from that time ? NIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had we answered that question of ourselves before making the bid, we need not have wasted all those millions of taxpayer hard-earnt. it will be at least 20 years before they will come this way again, not 8

I understand Qatar is "dry" in terms of alcohol consumption- that should be interesting across the month of the competition

It's a 5-6th choice sport for many in Australia, it's a religion in many other parts of the world. We were up against it from the start.

Qatar is not a Soccer nation either and they only have a population of about 1.5 million most of the filling of the stadiums there will have to be via tourists (as it would be here as well). Plus they are going to have to air condition their stadiums because of the heat (I know they're an oil nation - but it's not the best environmentally - I'm not a HUGE greenie - BUT C'MON).

I would say the main reason we didn't win was because we didn't pay enough for the votes and if that's how corrupt FIFA is - then I'm happy we lost.

Not really a fan but it would have been awesome in australia :(

Well soccer isnt the most popular sport in Australia. Anyway, how can they have the fifa in qatar is july? It'll be like 45 degrees!

Waste of 45mil, i hate soccer,,, what a boring game!!.
They dont want us....well guess what...most AUSSIE didint want them!!! GFYS

I can't believe people send so much money on that.
I mean really
Not even bashing the sport I mean any sport.
45 MILLION dollars! Imagine how many that people could help.
That's despicable

I can't believe people send so much money on that.
I mean really
Not even bashing the sport I mean any sport.
45 MILLION dollars! Imagine how many that people could help.
That's despicable

If we got it we would have made heaps more money than that, it was a good investment. IMO us or the US should have got it if it was a fair competetion, i dont think anyone believes it wasnt the typical corrupt rubbish that you expect from FIFA that lead to the decesion. Even though it failed its still a decent tourism add(even if it was full of idiots i dont like).

Funny how Russia won after protesting about how corrupt they are, funny that Russia complained about corruption at all for that matter :lol:

Funny how Russia won after protesting about how corrupt they are, funny that Russia complained about corruption at all for that matter

Russia's corrupt....no! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back