Filter for turtle tank size?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
what sized filter will i need for a 100l turtle tank? It has 5 turtles, 5-10cm carapace length. a few fish and feeder crays. I was thinking 500l per hour or wouldi need more?

Hey there 500lt h is fine as u only need the water volume in tank to turn about 3-4 times an hour.Bigger the better!

I use a aqua one external filter on my turtles costs about $140 but is well worth it. You only have to clean it about 3-6 months apart and just normal water changes. I know a place in brisbane that sells them cheap.pm if interested

Is it called age of aquariums? there the cheapest up there.I order all my gear from them.:)

i have considered using age of aquariums, their gear good?

I get all my aquarium filters through pet city I have found them to be the cheapest

I had a 500L/H aqua-one internal filter for 2 turtles, It was hopeless. I would be using an external filter with around 1000L/H.
Brendan

yes, am looking for a canister filter, I have been told 500L/H would be fine but i will go for 600-700 probably

Defintly dont buy an aqua-one very cheaply made,have had nothin but troubble with them.They leak,stop pumping ect.Thats why brendanS has had probs.
Age of aquariums do a cheap but good one called aqua nova has 3 stages 1200lph $99 bucks.But also make smaller.

Defintly dont buy an aqua-one very cheaply made,have had nothin but troubble with them.They leak,stop pumping ect.Thats why brendanS has had probs.
Age of aquariums do a cheap but good one called aqua nova has 3 stages 1200lph $99 bucks.But also make smaller.
Yeah i got the aqua nova 1200 external, recommend highly Havn't had any problems but only had it for about 6 months

Just be careful with the more powerful pumps with the smaller turtles, you need to make sure it cant drown them.

500-600 l/ph seems to work well in a 4' tank so it might be to much for a 100l tank. Maybe get a larger filter with an adjustable flow rate and turn it down a bit.

the bigger the better

i think somthing around 750-100lph should do the job in a four footer

i have a few set ups

in my 6X2 tanks i run a Rena xp2 they push out around 1000lph and go for around $250

in my big 8X3 tank i run 2 Rena xp 3s which do around 1200 lph

Dont buy cheap stuff mate, When it comes to canisters you really do get what you pay for

Try to buy somthing from europe , stear clear of filters made in asia.

Although you will pay more for european models, they are far better in the long term, as their parts are of a much higher standard

Brands like Jebo and Aqua one are ok, but not really ideal in the long term.

i have a second hand Rena for sale if you want it mate, in full working order.

what size? how much do you want for it?

it is recommended to turn the water over 3 time an hour, if it is only 100lt in the tank i wouldn't use any more than a 500lt hour filter as if it is going too fast it can stress the fish also if you buy a big one with adjustable flow and turn it down it puts stress on the filter and wears it out quicker.

Turtles are very very dirty

you want your water to roll over 8-10 times an hour

anything smaller than a 700 will do a poor job , with turtles

im running a cascade 300 ,(hangs on the side) and a aqua one lil filter , for my 4fter, it works awesome, and i have 3 turts, alot of fish, and a few yabbies, but i do have lots of plants in thier...

Apart from possibly the mary rivers your turtles dont want to be stuck in a ragging torrent and it could even kill them IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back