Finally got my first reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beardeddragon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new here, finally got my first reptiles, two inland bearded dragons from Reptile City in Adelaide(Thanks heaps for all the help), here's a couple photos of the enclosure and my female, couldn't get a shot of the male as he was under the basking log and it was too dark, but I'll get one sometime soon.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Welcome and congrats, nice looking dragon you got there.

Thanks mate, also, is it pretty normal for them not to be super keen on food on the first day in a new home? The males been eating a couple crickets but the girl doesn't seem too keen eh

Very common. Let them settle in, but keep offering food, crickets and greens, even if they don't eat any. How old are they?

OH DEAR they set you up on the wrong foot didn't they ? a red light to replace the sun? don't they teach pet shop people anything?
You want something bright & white,there are multiple choices;expensive things at pet shops all the way down to cheaper options at hardware stores

Dragonlover1, what's worse is that Reptile City is not a"pet shop", actually I think they're a sponsor on here. I'm more concerned that they seem to have sold the two dragons with the one enclosure. And if they are as small as they seem, how did they sex them?

I didn't purchase the enclosure from them, I already had it set up, so don't give them a bad rep for that if it's my mistake. They are about 2-3 months old, they gave me a guessed sex of them not definite. I got the red light so that it doesn't get cold at night and I can leave it on, and the UV bulb provides plenty of brightness anyway.

Common practice in keeping beardies is that the heat source is a bright globe or a spottie. Don't stress if you have a UV tube in there, let them settle in and get one when you can. Keep an eye on the beardies as they settle in, so that one doesn't bully or dominate the other, or fight. It may not happen, but it is very common unfortunately.
And I wasn't bagging Reptile City, they have always offered great advice in the past.

Honestly I would ditch a light at night all together. If it gets too cold then just use a ceramic heat emitter. I can't leave lights on for my beardies cause it keeps him awake and he ends up hiding, I imagine it would be the same. Also, bearides, and I assume that these guys are the same if not very similar have a third (very) basic eye on the back of their heads that helps them to sense sunlight, which is why bright white lights for day time are best and no light at night. You can use just a normal house light for this if you wanna save money. Also no uv at night time. All lights should be off. Another thing is you really should separate them, they only really come together to mate otherwise can be pretty territorial sadly. I have no idea why pet shops continue to give wrong information : /

- - - Updated - - -

couldn't get a shot of the male as he was under the basking log and it was too dark, but I'll get one sometime soon.

Because the lights were on and it was too bright xD

Hmm true, yea UV is off at night, they really don't seem to mind the red light though, they have the option of going under the hide to sleep at night but they go on a high up stick and seem to be sleeping fine, hasn't been an issue so far, they also seem to get along fine and sleep next to each other. What I'm worried about is that they seem to go up against the glass sometimes and stare at the walls and sort of act like they are scared of it or scared of being in an enclosure? I'm worried as I don't like watching them running up against the wall and it concerns me.

Please forgive if i come of kinda rude but i personally think it is 100% ok to house a pair together as long as it isn't two males and there is adequate room. Please forgive me for my ingnorance but isn't the heat bulb made with that colour just for the purpose that it can be left on at night? I'm pretty sure that bearded dragons'sight is different to humans and some colours can not be registered be their eyes. IMO the blokes at reptile city are great people and always very helpful. Infact only today i was looking for a hundred dollar book to purchase from them, they were out so instead they lent me their very own copy free of charge for a couple of weeks until they ordered some new ones. as well as that they drove to my house on jason's (one of the shop owners) birthday to deliver bearded dragons and their entire enclosure and setup free of charge of course.

Please forgive if i come of kinda rude but i personally think it is 100% ok to house a pair together as long as it isn't two males and there is adequate room.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I think it's irresponsible to suggest that this would be 100% ok. There are plenty of examples of lizards housed together, both same and opposite sex, with plenty of room and food to go around and one day one is missing a toe/foot/leg/tail etc.

The vast majority would suggest that they be housed separately (including respected reptile vets and breeders) and there is no way to guarantee there will not be conflict if they are kept together.

If you check out Dr Shane Simpson's Facebook page you will see many examples of the aftermath of cohabitation in bearded dragons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

^^Yess thank you, they were extremely nice when I visited and I believe they have been breeding and keeping reptiles for 15 years or something so I think they know what they are doing

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I think it's irresponsible to suggest that this would be 100% ok. There are plenty of examples of lizards housed together, both same and opposite sex, with plenty of room and food to go around and one day one is missing a toe/foot/leg/tail etc.

The vast majority would suggest that they be housed separately (including respected reptile vets and breeders) and there is no way to guarantee there will not be conflict if they are kept together.

If you check out Dr Shane Simpson's Facebook page you will see many examples of the aftermath of cohabitation in bearded dragons.

Allright sorry if i sounded a little pushy i hate those guys:oops: I could've chosen my wording a bit better:facepalm:

Allright sorry if i sounded a little pushy i hate those guys:oops: I could've chosen my wording a bit better:facepalm:

No not pushy at all, am glad you shared your opinion!

I was just sharing mine too :) it's hard to read people sometimes in writing.

Thank's very much RLPreston. oh and congratulations beardeddragon on the new herp. You won't regret it!

Some people have luck with beardies (and other lizards) in housing them together without mishap. However, it is always a lottery in my experience. And just because they have been housed together at the shop, it doesn't always mean they will live uneventfully when you get them home. Probably the only safe option for housing together is an outside enclosure, because it provides more room.
And yes, the guys at reptile city are great. We purchased a yearling snake from them yesterday, and Michael threw in a couple of mice for free. Very nice, and extremely helpful.

The guys at reptile city basically said to me that sometimes they will get along and sometimes they wont, but they usually will only start fighting when they get sexually matured and then they just might or might not, he never said that it would be fine or recommended it, if they fight I will take one out but they are getting along fine so far :)

Yes but waiting to find out 'if they fight' is pretty unfair and selfish just because you don't want to separate them. What if 'when you finally find out' one has already lost a foot or a toe?

It really is best to just do it now before anything bad or detremental to your animals happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back