First bad egg

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

5potted

Reaction score
All the clutches I've had so far have been perfect and any slugs weren't attached to the pile so were easily removed. My spotted laid a week ago and one egg did have one vein through it so I thought I'd see what would happen but today when candled it was completely clear. This egg is now starting to go bad. On top of that, another egg which had a small spot to begin with has now grown over most the egg. When candled there's one distinct vein and ?embryo

My question is, I've read a lot of debate regarding removing bad eggs vs leaving them there. From what I've read, if an egg is good, it won't be affected by another bad egg in the clutch. Should I just wait and see what happens with the possible good egg? Should I let the infertile egg go bad which then becomes easier to remove from the pack? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Initially
80CDE560-202E-481C-AEE8-4A210EB2220D-1716-0000027DD9A6866A_zps74320fa0.jpg

now (infertile egg on top of the pile, possible fertile egg at top of the photo)
BAAB9E22-F683-4C36-BCBA-D6CFB0A2CA96-1716-0000027DE2871274_zpsf0506d1a.jpg

Possible fertile egg when candled, thoughts?
6A75C3B0-8718-412A-853F-0D2510FA7C36-1716-0000027DEA11A6A0_zps4bc7ea89.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Any thoughts?

i don't see fungus or mould so just leave them alone

Hi 5potted,

I'm as much of a rookie as you could find, I belong to a pair of spotted pythons. I found my lady coiled around a clutch of eggs just over a week ago and was lucky enough to have a local breeder come and take the eggs to incubate for me. What we found was 1 slug, 1 bad egg (that smealt like the seventh level of hell) and 7 viable eggs. the slug was seperate like yours, the bad egg was attatched to the clutch, the breeder seperated it offering his opinion that the bad egg could contaminate some of the others touching it. it was pretty well stuck to the other eggs but came away with a little carefull manipution..

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back