first dslr shots

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice sam !
im looking at getting the 90mm tamron aswell.

do you mean lense kurto :p ?, is so just the standard 18-55mm

Does Canon make a 50mm f2 Prime lens if they do I would look at something like that. I have a 50mm f2 prime lens and it's perfect for close up work plus with the low f2 aperture it's great in low light and for macro work which is useful for working with Pythons, lizards ans whatever. Like I said before set camera to Aperture Priority and be creative with your DOF because speed is not an issue, Happy shooting and get some more pics posted, looking forward to seeing them. Cheers Joe

thanks joe, i actually had half of these pics set on landscape (the jacky and 1 frog one)

cheers pmyers, for some reason i cant really get around to liking the 4th pic :p

you have got some good stuff here nick! Great for your first time and you managed to get yourself a realy good camera body!!! ok I agree with whats been said about the DOF I probably would have made your apeture around f7-10 range to keep the whole frog in focus but having the backround blurred! ok make sure when you are shooting you don't use the auto setting because your photogrphy will not grow and you won't get far in that aspect. Always use the manual setting where you can control the shutter speed, apeture, and iso (If you don't know what they are I suggest you learn about them) If you have any questions you Pm if you need too.

you have got some good stuff here nick! Great for your first time and you managed to get yourself a realy good camera body!!! ok I agree with whats been said about the DOF I probably would have made your apeture around f7-10 range to keep the whole frog in focus but having the backround blurred! ok make sure when you are shooting you don't use the auto setting because your photogrphy will not grow and you won't get far in that aspect. Always use the manual setting where you can control the shutter speed, apeture, and iso (If you don't know what they are I suggest you learn about them) If you have any questions you Pm if you need too.
Sorry Jordan but this is wrong advice to a Newbie dslr camera, why go manual when it would confuse the poor guy somewhat chronic. My suggestion stands, Aperture Priority and don't worry about the speed. His ISO never wants to be above 200 (400 if he really does need it for that extra bit of light ) but I doubt this when taking Reptile shots. With the lower ISO his shots will be more crisp and no noise. As for Aperture I would say f5.6 to f11 ( start f8 look at the shot see if reptile is sharp and alter Aperture if needed) focus on the eyes of the subject always. If you just want the head in focus and sharp with the rest of body a little softer (blurry) go for a Aperture lower than F5.6.. Play around a little before you go full manual because it can be hairy to someone with a new dslr. Forgot the most inportand thing lol..a decent Tripod this is a must for crisp clear shots. Always use it. Cheers Joe

Sorry Jordan but this is wrong advice to a Newbie dslr camera, why go manual when it would confuse the poor guy somewhat chronic. My suggestion stands, Aperture Priority and don't worry about the speed. His ISO never wants to be above 200 (400 if he really does need it for that extra bit of light ) but I doubt this when taking Reptile shots. With the lower ISO his shots will be more crisp and no noise. As for Aperture I would say f5.6 to f11 ( start f8 look at the shot see if reptile is sharp and alter Aperture if needed) focus on the eyes of the subject always. If you just want the head in focus and sharp with the rest of body a little softer (blurry) go for a Aperture lower than F5.6.. Play around a little before you go full manual because it can be hairy to someone with a new dslr. Forgot the most inportand thing lol..a decent Tripod this is a must for crisp clear shots. Always use it. Cheers Joe

It's all in opinion I learnt all I know (I'm no way a pro but still) by using the manual setting to be honest it's not that complicated and once you grasp the aspect of the three main elements I mentioned previously you do wonders! I respect your opinion however, And I agree with everything else that you have said!

decent Tripod this is a must for crisp clear shots.
If you find a wild reptile willing to sit still long enough for me to take out my tripod, set it up, attach the camera, focus and take the shot, then by all means direct me to said reptile.

These shots are good. I agree with a mix of what has been said and different people raise different good points. My take one the whole aperture pref/Manual is that aperture preference is a good setting especially for learning. This mode still gives great control over you shooting but you don't quite have to do everything. I've only more recently been moving to full manual, and only for landscapes or when I'm not using a flash. Don't get me wrong, you should understand F-stop, ISO and Shutter Speed, it's just not necessary to be utilizing full control of them at all times.

Joe your advice about starting at say F8 and moving up to about max F11 is sort of good, however it very much depends on the kind of shots you want. I photograph shots with the intention that from them you can gain a good understanding of the appearance of a reptile from an ID perspective. (That is I'd like to use my pictures in an ID book/site in the future). To be doing this you need your aperture at least up at F13 or F16 or the animal will go to soft around the edges. Extremities like the tail are always going to go soft no matter what, but the more of the animal in focus the better.
I'm not suggesting this is Nicks intention but it is fairly clear he wants to get nice clear shots with the majority of the animal in focus especially when he is shooting centipedes and starting at F8 seems a little low for this to me. I only drop to F8 for things like head shots where I want to have a very sharp centre of focus that rapidly drops out.

Now I admit my advice here has one very major problem, I photograph with a flash, in fact generally I shade any animal I am photographing so that the lighting is more even from the flash. I have found that as a tool to get good pictures of frogs or reptiles a flash is an absolute must have, certainly before any tripod and before any other accessories like extension tubes.

You earlier recommended a 50mm prime macro lens. While I can say I've used these with great success and they are good lenses, I much much prefer a fixed length 90mm or 100mm macro lens and would even love to add larger, perhaps 180mm to my collection. The reason for this are these lenses are still dedicated macro lenses, they are great for close up work, they are great in low light, the 100mm Canon F2.8 USM (and its IS counterpart) is probably one of the best lower level lenses out there. So they have no real disadvantage compared to a 50mm F/2. However they do have one big advantage, that advantage being the distance from which you can use them, if you want to photograph a snake, especially a venomous one, getting close is not always preferred, however getting a close shot from a 100mm lens removes you further from the animal. I find this not just with snakes and such but with lizards especially skinks and dragons and even with frogs the working distance of this lens makes them just that bit less likely to spook and allows you to get nice close shots often without disturbing the animal.

This is just my take. I'm not a professional photographer, I am an experienced amateur in photographing reptiles and Amphibians.

This photo is to show how quickly focus drops out for me at F8

Ctenophorus caudicinctus by Stephen Mahony, on Flickr

wow stephen thats a long post lol ... thanks!

thanks jordan!, but im not to good with manual !, ive tried a few times but they just come out blurry :p

I completely agree with Stephen! Using an f/stop of 8 and abovew with a flash should give you the desired shutter speed to make sure the image isnt blurry of Aperture Priority (AV) mode.. :) I use this myself, although i actually like the shallow depth of field in reptile shots, and usually shoot between 2.8 and 5.6- so its a personal preference thing. If you look at more Stephen's work, you'll find absolute crackers- worth a look!

I loved your photographs and was very impressed with how sharp you got the eyes- definitely #1 for me too- i liked the contrasting colours.

Little photography tip when speaking to other photographers... it doesnt matter WHAT aperture you use- everyone will always have something to say, because photographers are artists and you'll never find two that like all the same styles of photography as the other- and we're an outspoken lot too- everyone's got to put in their 2c ;). This is my tip: as long as the eyes are in focus, you're laughing. Experiment with what depth of field YOU like and go from there- discover what shots you like of others' and experiment taking the same photo at different f stops- f/5.6 f/8 f/11 f/16 f/22 and get a good feel for how it affects the photo and which you like the best :)

Also.. i'm a proud owner of the Macro 100mm canon 2.8 IS USM and it's a beautiful little lens :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back