First post - some guidance appreciated :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankgrimes

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Firstly - Apologies for the long first post :)

As a youngster(up until my late teens, so nearly 20 years ago!), always had reptiles...mainly blue tongues/skinks...and also a childrens python(Had her for 11 years, but she sadly died....awesome snake).

My 4yr old son is VERY keen on lizards, we're blessed on the GoldCoast....have plenty of skinks+geckos to keep him busy.

As much as I would love to get a big vivarium and a childrens(Or black head, olive or diamond as they are definitely my favourites!), my missus is not overly keen on having a snake in the house(yet!)...so to ease her into it, Im thinking of getting a blue tongue, and appropriate size enclosure...I've got my licence, just after some advice on what size enclosure is suitable for a blue tongue, best place to buy from(Pet store in Nerang on the GoldCoast has them, but they seem pretty expensive), and also best place to purchase a blue tongue?

Private purchase seems to be the way to go(For reptiles.... recommendations for private breeders on the gold coast?), but for enclosures...Pet store, Ebay...other suggestions?

Thanks in advance - And have been reading a few threads since joining...looks like a fantastic site!

Build it yourself out of melamine...
Ive build a few of mine and they work fine and worked out cheaper then what a store charges...

The only problem with bluetongues or any of the large skinks is that they truly stink when they crap, far worse than any other reptile. The best for indoors would be a Central Bearded Dragon - a lot more character too...

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

The only problem with bluetongues or any of the large skinks is that they truly stink when they crap, far worse than any other reptile. The best for indoors would be a Central Bearded Dragon - a lot more character too...

Jamie

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

Jamie

Thanks Jamie - Any recommendations where I can get bearded dragons? (And also what size enclosure I will need?)

Welcome!.. back sorta! hehe

For reptiles themselves i always look here.

For houses + everything else: ebay and gumtree stalking FOR THE WIN. (this goes for pretty much anything thats not alive, I LOVE ebay and gumtree!)

Cant tell you how many times i have paid less than 20% of the retail price for a near new item!!!
Good example: This weekend im picking up a new enclosure for my juvi jungle for $50 (even comes with a heap of extra accessories). Its about 6 months old (so they say) but everything together has got to be worth atleast $180+ (not 20% but good!)

Downside is it can take awhile to find something that suits, but if you are not in a hurry ebay it up!

Also agree with Jamie, beardies love the attention and are much more active.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jamie - Any recommendations where I can get bearded dragons? (And also what size enclosure I will need?)

Check the forums. I think montay will have more in a few weeks (saw it in the sale section)

I house my 2 girls in a 4x2x2 modified fish tank. They seem to love it!

Welcome!.. back sorta! hehe

For reptiles themselves i always look here.

For houses + everything else: ebay and gumtree stalking FOR THE WIN. (this goes for pretty much anything thats not alive, I LOVE ebay and gumtree!)

Cant tell you how many times i have paid less than 20% of the retail price for a near new item!!!
Good example: This weekend im picking up a new enclosure for my juvi jungle for $50 (even comes with a heap of extra accessories). Its about 6 months old (so they say) but everything together has got to be worth atleast $180+ (not 20% but good!)

Downside is it can take awhile to find something that suits, but if you are not in a hurry ebay it up!

Also agree with Jamie, beardies love the attention and are much more active.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Check the forums. I think montay will have more in a few weeks (saw it in the sale section)

I house my 2 girls in a 4x2x2 modified fish tank. They seem to love it!

Cheers for the advice! (Ill check ebay + gumtree).

Beardies def. sound like a better option! (Have an ornery blue tongue (big boy) in my back yard...hisses whenever you see him, then runs away)

How does it work purchasing from private breeders from here? I've now got a licence, is that's all that is required?

What a great forum btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back