First Snake - my cunning plan worked!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicman72

Reaction score
So, my cunning plan has finally yielded the results I'd originally intended! I wanted snakes ages ago, but the missus wasn't too keen on the idea, so we decided to meet half way and start with lizards (all part of the plan, you see..). Naturally, the missus fell completely in love with the first lizard, and then the second, and then all the rest (according to plan). Then I introduced her to a couple of beautiful, placid pythons, let her have a hold, and she realises they're pretty awesome. Plan working! Then a work colleague of hers got a couple of stunning, puppy-dog diamonds, and the missus fell in love with them. That wasn't actually in the plan, but the iron was red hot, so I struck, and now, thanks to Ozzie Python, we're the proud new parents of a new little girl! Woohoo!

We haven't named her yet; don't want to rush into these things, so she's still #8 until we decide. Besides, for the 36 hours that we've had her, all she's done is hide, so we really haven't seen much of her. I expected the settling in period, but it's killing me not lifting up her hide to make sure she's okay! I'm resisting the urge 'though; she'll come out when she's good and ready is my guess. She's just about to go into shed too, so that's probably another reason she's hiding.

She's a Childreni, born Nov 09, bred by Ozzie Python, from parents of Mt Isa location. The pics attached are from a few days before we got her; since she's been here she hasn't appeared for a photo shoot. She's a great eater, and hasn't bitten since birth. She's really healthy, and I was given her feeding chart (as well as her water bowl and 3 hides, plus about 10 mice!). Really looking forward to when she wants to come out of hiding and finally meet us. We have no plans for breeding her - she's going to be a pet. This may of course change a few years down the track...

We're thinking about naming her A'isha - sounds a bit snakey, plus she'll have 'Isa' in her name. Iggy Pop sung about an A'isha on a Death in Vegas album (I think), but this is the only time I've ever heard it used...

So there you go, my cunning plan eventually worked, plus we also have some beautiful beardies (that we love immensely) to go with the (first) snake. Anyone else having dramas trying to convince someone about the joys of snakes, consider getting there via lizards ;)

Any constructive advice would be thoroughly appreciated. I've got most of the basics sorted out, plus Ozzie Python is doing a great job following up on how she's doing, but I'm always open to suggestions from other keepers.

Cheers,
Nic

Attachments

• DSC_1156.JPG
    DSC_1156.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_1159.JPG
    DSC_1159.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_1158.JPG
    DSC_1158.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_1157.JPG
    DSC_1157.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 175
aww, congrats on the success with ur devious plan Nic,...im sure you'll get hours of joy from your new little one once shes emerges,..!!

i dont ask anymore since my bf tried to say no at the second snake, i WAS tring to be polite!! (that was about 20 critters ago,..), now i just bring new critters home and wait for the dust to settle,...hahahahaha!!

A'isha sounds good, naming gets really hard after a while! :)

looking forward to more pics! :)

Congrats on the new baby girl! I got my other half into reptiles in a similar way. At the start he wasnt to keen on my beautiful girl Akasha, a coastal. I got her just before we got together. Then I got 2 baby beardies. Then the herp bug really hit him whenwe were out of town and he wanted a slightly older juvenile beardie. I didnt have my wildlife licence with me, so what does he do? went to the internet cafe to apply for his own! one hour later we were back at the shop. He also managed to score a deal with beardie half price, as well the entire display enclosure, lights and accessories! Since then (approx 3 months ago), we have adopted 2 adult blue-tongues, and 3 gorgeous blonde macs. The best part is that he now loves snakes... he isnt even fazed now when the snappy blonde bites him over and over!! He is also having a ball making some new enclosures for when everyone gets bigger! For a couple that had no reptiles just over a year ago, to now having 9, with another one on the way, and spending nearly all our money on them, I would say that we have definitely been bitten by the herp bug.. haha!!!

congrats Nic, very nicely done.
she`s a beaut little snakey!

Thanks for all the comments guys - yeah, there'll be pics up as soon as she emerges from her hide. Are they always this secretive? I'm used to lizards being out and about all day!
Akasha, that's excellent! I can see we're heading in the same direction, and it's gathering momentum now hehe... the only thing that's stopping us from having heaps more reps is that we're renting; as soon as we buy our own joint, it'll become a herp resort. But yeah, the missus is as into reptiles as me now :)
Chris, you just go ahead and buy your reptiles regardless hey! lol! I guess that's one way to do it haha! I've got a few other things on my wish list for the coming financial year ;)
Cheers guys,
Nic

Very nice, I'd be surprised if you stop at just one snake....
I never bothered asking my wife if I could get mine, I just got them but she's fine with them, handles them no worries etc. She does prefer the blue tongues & geckos to the snakes, though.
My biggest issue isn't so much the aquisition of animals, more how to delicately & diplomatically reveal what they cost to aquire......

Congrats Nic :D

And I thought it was only us women who planned and schemed and connived.... ;) :lol:

I used Lizards to get permission to keep Snakes aswell :D and the once hater of snakes handles my little girl more than me!.

Cheers Sock Puppet, and I would be more surprised than you if we stopped at one! I'd live on baked beans if it meant another reptile haha!
Shellfisch, who's to say that this is the end of my cunning plan... ;) She just doesn't know about my plans to grow Australia's biggest Scrubby LOL!
Thought a hardy, placid little python would be more suitable for both of us to 'get our eye in' with snake husbandry, but I have always had a real soft spot for the liasis; love the waters as much as the olives... ahh well, we'll get there, one python at a time!
Nic

I used Lizards to get permission to keep Snakes aswell :D and the once hater of snakes handles my little girl more than me!.

Pretty sure that'll be a givens here too. Should've seen her holding the container the snake was in on the drive home - utter fascination, no fear. Excellent!
Nic

Once people break the barrier of " its going to bite me" its more more moar!. When I get home, I check on my animals,freak out that shes not in there. But shes just been taken on a wander around the house....

Last edited:
I prob wouldn`t have snakes if wasn`t for my daughter. She came home from school and asked if we could get one. I had a big diamond when I was a kid and so I said fine by me, convince your mother. She said I already have! So that was it I went straight out and got my licence and a snake as quick as I could, before she knew what had happened I had a hatchie. Now I`m trying to turn our house into a petting zoo but meeting a little resistance!

good to see you're still excited about her nic.

definately won't stop at one. Woma's next ;)

lol I like how you have the same plan as me.... I am only up to lizard two however.
Still no luck in the snake department.

Well done.

lol I like how you have the same plan as me.... I am only up to lizard two however.
Still no luck in the snake department.
Well done.
Patience, porkosta! Took me almost 2 years to finally bring her around. Does your missus love the lizards already?
Cheers Ozzie, we're still pretty excited to have her; still looking forward to SEEING her! She's still tucked away in her hide, hasn't been out once. Maybe I need another snake already... :)
Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back