Floating long neck turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maklouf

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a eastern long neck turtle, unsure of his age. He has a shell of approx 10-15cm. Feeds on a variety of turtle food, white bait, blood worms and worms. Just shed his skin and turned off his food. Was advised to raise tank temperature to 26 degrees, he is now eating again. He has a dry turtle dock with a UV light which stays on approx 12 hours. Of late he is unable to dive or stay under water, he just floats as if he is full of air. Can someone please help me.

Hi maklouf,

White bait, blood worms and worms are not good foods for turtles. I know that your turtle will eat these foods, but that does not make them suitable or nutritious for a turtle.

Freshwater turtles eat underwater. Therefore, anything that lives in freshwater is potential turtle food. Try switching to foods such as freshwater fish, freshwater yabbies, freshwater prawns, freshwater snails and tadpoles.

How long have you had the turtle?

Was he wild caught or captive bred?

When he floats, is he:
a) level in the water;
b) leaning to one side;
c) floating with his rear higher?

Are his legs and neck extended or tucked in when he floats?

AFT&F is a very helpful forum and well worth joining:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/AustralianFreshwaterTurtlesandFrogs/

Regards,
Michael.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I have been only feeding him what the pet shop has recommended.

I bought him from a friend who bought him from a breeder. I have had him for approx 2-3 years.

I noticed the change when I had put a heap of guppies in the tank for him to feed on. There is only 1 guppie left.

Legs and neck are extended.

He tends to stay very close to the dock, filter and heater so it is hard to tell.

When I put him in the tank, he swims around but then comes back to that same position as mentioned above.

thanks

Hi maklouf,

In my opinion, the person in the pet shop has given you bad advice.

Guppies are good for turtles.

See if you can observe him more to identify if he
a) floats level in the water;
b) floats leaning to one side;
c) floats with his rear higher?

Regards,
Michael.

i'm no expert but just a suggestion, there's no/not much fibre in that diet could he be blocked up and floating cause of bloating? i know fish do this

Thanks for the reply.

I took the dock out of the tank to see whether this would make a difference. He moved around alot more and did go to the bottom, staying there for a few minutes. He did lean to the left very slightly, when on floor of tank and floating.

Put the dock back in and went back to his same position.

Wood_nymph mentioned fibre, could this make a difference and if so what foods contain fibre?

Turtle himself seems happy and not affected in anyway.

How often in your opinion should i be feeding him and how much? At the moment I am feeding him every 2nd day.

Cheers

i'm no expert but just a suggestion, there's no/not much fibre in that diet could he be blocked up and floating cause of bloating? i know fish do this
long neck turtles are carnivorous. they rarely if ever eat vegatable matter

my long necked just floats all the time....
i imagine its fun :)

i am sure i read somewhere that some turtles just bask that way (turtletown website i think)

Hi maklouf,

If the turtle is floating to one side, that can indicate a respiratory problem. If you are still worried about it, then take him to a Reptile Vet.

Feeding him every 2nd or 3rd day is fine, provided you are feeding him suitable foods.

Regards,
Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back