Food for Beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeka

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just wanting to know what vegies everyone else feeds to their bearded dragons????

thanks;)

bok choy,endive and butternut squash. my bearded dragon mainly eats the bok choy and endive won't touch the squash.

Here is a really good guide lines as to theirfood i found on the canberra exotics web site .... hope this is a help .... :)

bearded dragon menu...

there are 5 different categories in which we have devided good and bad foods to feed your dragon.
These categories are... FEED DAILY (safe to feed every day), FEED OCCASIONALLY (safe to feed occasionally), FEED RARELY (as a treet once in a blue moon), QUESTIONABLE (probably good to keep away from these foods, can cause diarrhea), and NEVER FEED ( NEVER FEED!!!).

FEED DAILY:

Crickets
(bearded dragons are mostly insectivorous for the first stage of their life, preferring to eat nothing but live insects. Especially the eastern bearded ,pogona barbata, which remains mostly insectivorous for the term of its life. Even though live food may make up 90% of the diet at first still offer the other foods below in small quantities to start with.
Be sure to dust the crickets with a calcium supplement and "gut load" them by feeding a variety of foods to the crickets just prior to offering them.)

Woodies ( woodland, or speckled feeder cockroach.)

Collard Greens: staple.

Dandelion Greens

Mustard Greens

Silkworm: Contain an enzyme called serrapeptase, this has properties that make calcium absorption more efficient, may only be avaliable seasonably.

Squash, (Acorn, butternut, hubbard, scallop, summer, Spaghetti)

Turnip Greens

FEED OCCASIONALLY:

Apple (peeled)

Apricot

Asparagus

Basil

Beans, Green

Beans, Kidney

Beans, Lima

capsicum

Blackberries

Blueberries

Bok Choy

Cabbage

Carrots

Celery (stalk & leaves)

Cherries

Clover

Cranberries

Cucumber (peeled)

Earthworm

Figs

Grape Leaves

Grapefruit

Grapes

Guava

Hibiscus, Rosella

Leeks

Lemon Grass

Mango

Nectarine

Orange, Mandarin

Papaya

Parsnip

Peach

Pear

Peas, Snap

Pepperment Leaves

Pineapple

Plum

Pumpkin (raw)

Raisins (seedles)

Rosemary

Turnip

Watermelon

Zucchini

FEED RARELY:

Banana: High phosphorus

Beans, Soybeans

Broccoli (raw)

Cauliflower

Chives

Corn, Yellow

Egg (whole, hard boiled)

Kiwi

Lettuce, Red Leaf

Lettuce, Romaine

Mealworm

Olives (canned, pitted)

Parsley

Peas, Green

Pomegranate

Potato, Russet (cooked)

Potato, Sweet (cooked)

Raspberries

Rice (brown, long grain)

Rutabaga

Sprouts, Brussel

Tomato, Red

QUESTIONABLE:

Beef

Bread,

Chicken (cooked)

Eggplant (raw)

Lettuce, Loose Leaf: Poor nutritional value, can cause diarrhea

Lettuce, Iceburg: Poor nutritional value, can cause diarrhea

Mushroom, Portabella (raw): WARNING - some mushrooms can be very toxic to Beardies.

Spinach

Swiss Cheese

Tofu (soft, raw)

NEVER FEED:

Avocado: Highly toxic!

Bran, Wheat: Highly toxic!

Rhubarb: Highly toxic!

bok choy, peas, beans & carrot :)
as well as the coloured bearded dragon pellets, crickets & woodies :)

Thanks everyone, good to know i'm on the right track.....since they won't eat it, time will tell.

That is a great list igotfrogs, thanks it will come in handy.

yeah i thought it was a good one .... and your more than welcome :)

Yeah I saw that list too, but it's only helpful if someone has tested all the vegies/salads and know dragons like eating them.

I tried a few of the different ones that weren't found easily in the fridge at home. They didn't eat them. So I stick mainly to bok choy, cos lettuce, grated carrot/pumpkin, peas and beans. Dandelions are a good treat in summer, they love them!

yes but at lest it gives you a idea as to what you can try them on ......

thanks lovemydragons i'll remember those specific ones.
because of work i've got access to anything at all so it'll be pretty easy to get other stuff off the list & give it a go too. see how they go anyway.
we've only had them for a week & the guy we bought them from was feeding bok choy & carrot but they haven't eaten a single bit of it so thought i'd give a few other things a go. peas & beans will be the first things until i order the others through work.
cheers for the feedback everyone;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back