foor warming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
have you tried A heat mat i am new as well so if anyone can say if this is correct or not please do so
Also what are you keeping Instar ?

Floor Heating

Ultimate Reptile Supplies do a new product, it is a heating cable which can be used to heat floor areas.
It has been used by kennels, wildlife rescue people etc. to heat cages, floors etc, so might be what you are looking for. I have used them in a few reptile enclosures and have found them quite useful!
Good luck.

find a heat mat will do the job, but the temperature the mat gets too can be a little hot, if you go for the heat mat option i would also attach some sort of thermostat like you can buy from the herp shop.

dobermanmick its a carpet snake called morelia spilota. how does heating cable work? do you just put it on the floor?

Floor Heating

They work pretty much the same as most heaters Mick.
There is a plug attached so you can plug it directly to your mains, or go through the thermostat of your choice.
Another advantage of these is they can be used in outdoor enclosures as long as the power point is safely sealed from the elements.

To get to roughly the required temp, say around the 30degr. it helps to put some cardboard or whatever inside the enclosure as a buffer.
No matter how low the wattage of those heat mats, they get very hot.
But for safety reasons it is defiantly good to have a thermostat with a probe, on the mat, as you would not want to fry your snake.

Don't know that much about the cable one, should be not much diff. You don't really want to heat the whole enclosure, do you?
Generally about one third, the probe would have to be on top of that too.

Floor Heating

if you position the probe from the thermostat close to one point of the heating cable you should be able to read a reasonably accurate temperature.
i have one wired up to an imit thermostat, so have it positioned close to the heater also, to allow more accurate readings.
on a seperate note, does everyone that uses those imit thermostats find them reliable?
i have a couple but have been less than impressed all up. the click point on the thermostat seems to move, which makes getting good readings very difficult. admittedly it is hard to get good readings from the cooler end of the scale when north queensland temps are up in the 30's anyway. i am hoping winter makes setting these things a bit easier!

Habistats, are the ones I use, I find them most reliable.

Floor Heating

yes, i think from now on i will be going with habistats for reliability. they are dearer but in the long run i reckon they are the best. i used to use them in ireland for years before i moved over here. heating was a major issue for reptiles over there and they were always reliable and easy to use.
like all things in life, you get what you pay for i suppose!

Yep, I third the support of habistats for all the same reasons.

Hey Paddy, quiet a change for you from Ireland to, Nth. Queensland he he

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back