For the Spider lovers...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indicus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a few photo's that were forward to me recently...
A 'Golden Orb spider' - Nephila maculata ?; eating a Chestnut - breasted Mannikin finch - (Lonchura castaneothorax)...
The pictures were taken in a suburbia backyard, in Atherton; on Atherton Tablelands.
Credit to the photographer; and his interesting observation.
Quite amazing web; imagine the strength needed to stop a finch in flight.

Attachments

• pic23987.jpg
    pic23987.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 100
  • Orb1.jpg
    Orb1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Orb2.jpg
    Orb2.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Orb3.jpg
    Orb3.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 80
i saw that the other day! its nuts aye! could you imagine like being the bird or somthing! scary!!!!!!

id be one happy camper if i was that spider! i hate them though they are so scary and shifty. now you see them, now you dont... then bam its biting you on the face!

I have heard, and don't quote me on this could I could be way off, but I've heard that golden orbs have the strongest webs in the world. They certainly have damn good strength to em. Nothing like screaming down a track on your mountain bike and getting a face full of golden orb....

Here's a pic from one I found last year, though a different orb spider, this one was Eriophora transmarina, Common Garden Ord.

Attachments

• chickendinner.jpg
    chickendinner.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 88
spiders make my skin itchy... freaky buggers.

still, can't deny that's an ok-ish looking spider :p
na, its very pretty.

Aw why didn't you save it?:(:(:(

Just the way life is. Birds eat spiders all the time and when a spider is big enough to take on the bird...... I see no reason why it shouldn't.

Interesting pics. I had always read about the Golden Orbs eating birds but never seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back