Fresh ink rules out a career in police

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erebos

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just read the front page of yesterday's news paper. What are your thoughts?

NSW police officers will be banned from having visible tattoos under a sweeping reform of the force's public image set to begin this year.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that a draft policy, being prepared for Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione, is in the final stages of approval and recommends banning all visible tattoos on serving police and new recruits coming into the force.

The document, written by Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy and Assistant Commissioner Paul Carey, recommends a new standard for cadets, meaning that anyone with prominent body art trying to join the police could be denied entry to the academy.

Discussions are also under way about how serving officers with full-sleeve tattoos, or other prominent tattoos, should be managed, with several options being considered.

They range from asking officers to wear long-sleeved shirts and pants to cover up the tattoos, to the more extreme measure of having them removed entirely.

Cheers Brenton

wow the community is getting softer by the day. What's wrong with a bit of ink?

they used to deny entry to the police force if your were under 6ft. Now they have to send 5 or 6 cops out to minor incidents..

who gives a rats about tattoos!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good- now we'll be able to tell the good guys from the bad! (sarcasm)

what a load of crap. Im not the greatest fan of cops, but everyone should have the right to do whatever they want to with their own skin.

I thought that we had got passed the days of tattoos being unacceptable.

Geez, I suspect every workplace in Melbourne, cops included, has at least one tattooed person. When I went for my job I wore a short sleeved top as I didn't want to hide them and then be stuck wearing long sleeves in a hot, humid aquarium and reptile shop. Boss didn't even look twice. I have seen numerous cops here with tattoos, young guys especially and even in some of the more up market eateries etc the waiters have tattoos. One of our best customers is a salesman in a real estate agency and he is heavily tattooed. Maybe Melbourne is just more open minded.

It says not visible tattoos. Not any tattoos at all.
Sorry but I agree 100% with this. I love tattoos and body art so before you cuss at me remember that :)

In saying that, how many other jobs have this exact ruling?

QQ moar

Sounds like the Assistant Commissioner has had too much time on his hands.
Must be from all those people who call the police and then never get any aid.

I think he needs a life. If the public doesn't care, why does he?

Also means we'll just have plenty of sub-parr officers. As they're turning down willing and able applicants over something so silly.

You know what they should do? Do more frequent fitness tests! I'm sure they say they do, but I've seen so many officers who can hardly walk, let alone run.

Last edited:
Im not supposed to show my tattoos when Im doing security for Melbourne park and a couple of other companies.
I was ejecting a young fella from the tennis last week when he turned to me and said" you think you're tough because you have tattoos', as they had made an appearance during the brief scuffle.
I thought to my self, "boy. that tattoo is older that you"
and applied some more pressure to the arm lock he was in,lol.

And yeah, tats are ok on cops, but not on hands, neck or face ideally.And none of the tribal stuff on white boys, ok

Sorry occifer I didn't realise I was going that fast.

extremetattoo002.jpg

I wouldn't make that racist remark in front of my wife - - unless you have already had enough children

Lets face it, tattoos are normally either
a/Boring
b/Derivative
c/Tell the world you can drink more than your IQ
d/All of the above

maybe thats your opinion, but, cop or not, anyone should be allowed to express themselves with a tattoo, however big or small.

i have also seen many un-tattooed people drinking to by the way...

Whatever happened to dont judge a book by its cover.

The job has a code of dress and how you are perceived to the public.......I personally do not care less about tattoos BUT they are the rules, if you don't like them, then don't join....simple really.

I think it depends on what the tattoo is....I'd object to something like a skull or something overly aggressive looking and I'm not saying they have to have... butterflies.....instead ;) but there are lots of decent pictures that I think would be ok.
Both my son and daughter have tattoos and my daughter-in-law has a lot, on her back, arms and thighs, which personally I think is a bit over the top for a woman, but they are....nice pictures...if you know what I mean. I've even considered having a little one...but hubby would be most upset. I thought very seriously about getting one for my 60th birthday last year.
So I guess my thoughts about police and anyone really is....fine....but I don't like aggressive looking ones.

What I really don't like are some face piercings....some of them make me want to throw up.

The job has a code of dress and how you are perceived to the public.......I personally do not care less about tattoos BUT they are the rules, if you don't like them, then don't join....simple really.

I agree but it is acceptable now so what about ppl geting told to remove them or find another job.

Cheers Brenton

Shouldn't they be worrying about more important issues like, oh I don't know, all the drive by shootings that have been happening lately? :rolleyes:

Fay, I agree with you 100%, but obviously it wasnt part of their dress code until now, because otherwise they wouldnt have any police with tatts. There was also talk in one article that they would make members with existing tattoos, either wear long shirts or get them permanently removed.

I couldnt care less if someone has tats, this again explains why the police cant actually catch/charge anyone with serious crimes. They are too worried that an officers tat may offend someone.

Society needs a reality check, get over yourself and carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back