Fresh ink rules out a career in police

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact is 90% of the population don't have tats so it stands to reason that tats are not really socially acceptable.

The fact is 90% of the population don't have tats so it stands to reason that tats are not really socially acceptable.

Did you make that up. Sounds like it every second person has tattoos.

Cheers Brenton

Last edited:
Lets face it, tattoos are normally either
a/Boring
b/Derivative
c/Tell the world you can drink more than your IQ
d/All of the above

Your mentality is like those people who think only wierdos, drugos and bikies keep snakes. You generalise people knowing little about them or why they do the things they do.

Tattoos aren't always about being tough or showing how macho you are. People have tattoos for many different reasons like the memories of loved ones, a symbol of dedication to their beliefs etc. Tattoos can also be a way of expressing yourself. Of course there are people who get them to look cool to their mates but not everyone that has a tattoo is like that.

I think it's rubbish what they're trying to do. Imagine if they tried to do that in the defence. We probably wouldn't have one lol.

Your mentality is like those people who think only wierdos, drugos and bikies keep snakes. You generalise people knowing little about them or why they do the things they do.

Tattoos aren't always about being tough or showing how macho you are. People have tattoos for many different reasons like the memories of loved ones, a symbol of dedication to their beliefs etc. Tattoos can also be a way of expressing yourself. Of course there are people who get them to look cool to their mates but not everyone that has a tattoo is like that.

I think it's rubbish what they're trying to do. Imagine if they tried to do that in the defence. We probably wouldn't have one lol.

Regardless of all that where would the line be drawn with regard to tats in the police service? Would only certain types/sizes or locations of tats be acceptable and if so who would make those decisions? See where I am going with this?

If I remember right, this all started awhile back and it started over religious tattoos offending people.
Its just easy to say no tattoos and be done with it... just another reason to not be a cop.

okay this is from the USA, but I am sure we are pretty much on par with them.

Thirty-six percent of those ages 18 to 25, and 40 percent of those ages 26 to 40, have at least one tattoo, according to a fall 2006 survey by the Pew Research Center. (see pdf of tattoo poll numbers)
The National Geographic News stated in April 2000 that 15% of Americans were tattooed (or approximately 40 million people!)
Esquire Magazine estimated in March 2002 that 1 in 8 Americans was tattooed.
According to the American Society of Dermatological Surgery, they stated in 2005, that of all the people they treat with laser and light therapy, only only 6% are getting a tattoo removed.
Harris Poll, 2003, estimates that fully 36% of those aged 25-29 have one or more tattoos.
A 2006 a study done by the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology found that 24% of Americans between 18 and 50 are tattooed; that’s almost one in four. And the survey showed that about 36% of Americans age 18 to 29 have at least one tattoo!
Make no mistake about it, the tattoo industry is hot property. There are an estimated 20,000+ parlors operating in the United States, according to a U.S. News & World Report article, which said, on the average, an establishment is being added in the country every day. The article ranked tattooing as the sixth fastest growing retail venture of the 1990s, right behind Internet, paging services, bagels, computer and cellular phone service

Regardless of all that where would the line be drawn with regard to tats in the police service? Would only certain types/sizes or locations of tats be acceptable and if so who would make those decisions? See where I am going with this?

I see what you're saying there. In the defence, we are allowed to have visible tattoos but there are some obvious ones we can't have in visible areas. Things like swear words, nude people, grotesque images etc. Basically things they wouldn't normally show on day time tv lol.
We're told, if you have to think about wether you'll get in trouble for it, don't do it. Things like full sleeves, random pictures (not of the type mentioned above) names etc are accepted. I think the only thing they are strict on are facial tattoos.
To me, this makes sense and isn't too hard to follow.

Maybe we can start a poll to see how many people on APS alone have tattoos.

You could but that in no way would give you accurate data as people here don't really represent a cross section of the community.

sorry off topic but i just saw this on facebook.

422896_10150515057963093_743493092_9162831_1338634193_n.jpg

Lets face it, tattoos are normally either
a/Boring
b/Derivative
c/Tell the world you can drink more than your IQ
d/All of the above

Baldness so that must make you
a/ Old
b/ Boring
c/ A thug
d/ Most likely a & b.

Status