Freshies in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chondrogreen

Reaction score
So how many people have been offered freshwater crocs in NSW recently?
I have been confronted by 3 different sources in just the last week. Apparently some netters got a massive catch of hatchlings and bought them back to NSW to trade on the black market.

Haha, funny you mentiom that.
I have heard of 2 people getting one in the last week. Give it a year or so, and these crocks will be too big. And I can see everyone just letting them go. Not easy to advertise, and just sell them, when they grow up a little.
Sad, but true.

I spoke to a few people over the last week that purchased some and 3 people who were actually selling them.
And according to some of those that I spoke with they will be released in Nepean river at Penrith or Hawksbury river at Windsor if they do get too big (more like when they get too big as it is inevitable). And when I had a dig at them about that they figured the low temps in winter would kill them (I don't know if this is true or not but I assume they'd survive). Also 2 of those I spoke with were supposedly heading back to try and collect another lot in January.

Im in 2 minds about it to be honest.
Happy to see them here but scared of the long term effects. Especially in my local waterways where myself and kids frequent.

Last edited:
They arent the ones on herptrader are they?

There is a bulk lot there for sale, but from QLD.

Nah they are deffinately in NSW.
I have seen the animals in the flesh and spoke with both buyers and sellers over the last 8 or 9 days.

Are you friends with the people or are they people you can report?
obviously you know whats going on is wrong and highly illegal.

i have also heard of someone recently paying like 300-400ea forthem

Well only 2 months later and several crocs have been pulled out of a creek run off at Kurrajong Ave St Marys.I was there when the police arrived to capture them. I also know that there is still atleast one croc left in there as I work across the road and have had several different people come in claiming to of seen it and all mentioned it being the same size (forearm length). I have also been informed that a couple have been caught at Nepean river but atm this is just hearsay untill I get confirmation.

PS, I do not know the collectors at all.
I had spoke to them prior as indicated above, but they approached me knowing I was into Reptiles (I have no idea who they are though but I wish did now)

Heres a pic of a recent capture (today) from St Marys.
I will be putting the word out that I want some and hopefully these people will approach me again so I can report them.

stmaryscroc.jpg

yeah i saw that sydney bloke who sells corns on petlink advertising a freshy on petlink a week or so ago, sold pretty fast.

Yeah wasn't one found in a front yard somewhere recenlty by a relocator?

I`ve also been offered several freshies over the last 2 months from several different people, I also work in St Marys so they are probably the same people.

Well it was my colleague that reported the 1st lot caught by police and I spent the last 3 days trying to catch this bugger that evaded them. I was also approached 2 months ago to buy some and to be honest thought it was BS untill one of the sellers returned with some hatchies to show me he was serious. As far as my knowledge goes it has already been stated in this thread and to DECC.

Meaning what exactly?

chondrogreen, l agree also that you seem to know a fair bit about these people who are selling fresh-water Crocodiles and dumping them in the wild ilegally.
You should contact the wildlife authories ASAP to stop them from taking the freshy from the wild and selling them inter-state without a permit. if you really cared about these young fresh-water Crocodile's, you just wouldn't sit there and do nothing about it, so l get this feeling that you could be part of this group selling these fresh water Crocodile's and dumping them in the wild ilegally.

lf l ever find out who is doing this l will be straight on the phone to the wildlife authories to report them, and hopefully they will be stopped from doing what their doing, and it will protect the wild population of fresh water Crocodile's, from those that are so greedy for money.

As I have already said I do not know who they are & I have reported what I do know.
They came into the shop I work in asking for me by name (I have been keeping Reptiles for over 25 years and other keepers in the area knows this). They asked if I was interested in buying any, of course thinking they were full of BS I asked questions like: where they from, how many, how much etc. I also asked what are they going to do with them when they get too big and 1 guys response was dump them in Nepean or the Hawksbury. I had a shot at him and he said they will die over winter anyway don't worry. Thought nothing of it untill 1 of them returned the next day and asked me to come out and have a look at some hatchies (Thats when I knew it wasn't BS and reported it when he left)

2 months later (last week) customers came in the shop saying they seen crocs across the road. I was not working this day but the owner rang the police. They came out and collected several. 3 days ago we got more customers saying they seen one about arm length etc.

Thats as far as my knowledge goes and I have no problem speaking again with DECC or having my collection inspected. And I would appreciate not being accused of illegal activity. If I was I deffinately wouldn't be discussing it here with the member quality of APS.

no need to get your knickers in a knot, I'm not accusing you of anything.:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back