Freshwater stingray gives birth

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dottyback

Reaction score
After a gestation of almost 130 days my female stingray gave birth to 3 pups (2 others where still born). They are like guinea pigs and fully independent at birth.8)

raypup5.jpg

raypup13.jpg

That's cool!!! I don't know you could keep stingrays You would hope that's one huge tank hey

motoro hybrid, or reticulus type?

fantastic breeding them, worth some good coin too.

wow unusual pets...what are they like to keep? difficult ?..as was said how big is the tank ?

Nice one, did you see it happen?

Unfortunatly i did not see it happen, it must of happened early morning.

That's cool!!! I don't know you could keep stingrays You would hope that's one huge tank hey
The tank i keep them in is 1400L, its a 8x30x30,

motoro hybrid, or reticulus type?

fantastic breeding them, worth some good coin too.
there are only 2 types of FW stingrays that i know in australia motoro's and these are teacups or reticulated. There are a few bieng bred in Australia now so the price has dropped.

wow unusual pets...what are they like to keep? difficult ?..as was said how big is the tank ?
Very easy to look after all that is required is a big tank, a heated pond would work aswell, good water chemistry like most tropical fish and excellent nutrition. they are a scavenger not so much a predator. I feed them a staple of earthworms, whitebait and mussles and a few feeder goldfish every now and then.

They are certaintly a different pet to keep,awesome stuff with the babies,what are these worth dottyback...

That's amazing. Where abouts are the freshwater varieties found? Similar river systems to the freshwater sawfish?
Just to clarify...that's 8ft by 30 inches by 30 inches? Not 8ft by 30ft by 30ft........

Originally they are found in the Amazon. They have been in Australia for some time pre 1980's. tank is 30 inches high and wide.

Australia also has a native freshwater stingray, though it isn't so small and is quite rare, found throught asia and some of the rivers in Northern Australia, though the or some of the Asian ones are most probably different sub species.

Congrats , alto if any shops have freshwater rays up here the DPI cut their tails off :(

Really? and how is this done? that is a really backwards thing to do IMO, either ban the sale of them or leave them be...

Yup .you would have to ask them , same thing has happend in perth as well.
It has alot to do with 90% of them being smuggled in on the back market I guess , still no excuse.

Thats pretty cool what is the average number of pups for them? i want one now. And also what is their average lifespan in captivity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back