Frill necks Habitat Range??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggz

Reaction score
I feel a bit silly even asking this but here goes anyway.

Everything I have read leads me to believe that Frilled necks Habitate the northern reaches of the country but is it possible that they could be found in the outer northern reaches of SA suburbs. The reason I ask this is that a few weeks ago my wife told me that she saw one run across the road in front of her, I was rather sceptical but she gave a damned good description of what she saw and it definately fits a Frilled neck description. In the few weeks since then we have spoken to people from around the area she saw it and several have stated that they have also seen Frilled necks in the area. Are all these people imagining things or is it possible that the Habitat ranges this far south.

If not what other large dragons do we have that run on hind legs and definately are not beardies lol

i have no idea but i was born in Broken Hill (moved back here in 2003) and as a child i would often bush walk with my uncle and i remember him pointing one out to me when i was a child, it was running across a bush track out near Menindee Lakes

my uncle was an experienced bushman and would often see reptiles and birds i would have missed, he could tell a bird by its call and track it down by listening to and following it, i didnt inherit that part of my uncle unfortunately however i do have a pretty good eyes

hopefully someone will have an answer for you

Everyone in southern parts of Australia has seen a Frillneck. Pitty no one actually knows there is another lizard with a frill. The old Bearded Dragons

Frillies are actually tropical and the colder weather of southern parts of Australia would kill them. Beardeds however live where it gets a lot colder, and these are what the general public refer to as Frillies throughout NSW, Vic and SA

My wife knows what beardies look like as we have owned them over the years, The other people we spoke to quite often have Beardies in their yards. In fact one of them was my brother and I saved a Beardy out of his pit in the shed just last weekend ( he has sine put the covers on the pit so they can't fall down there again).
That's why I was wondering what other large Dragons we have around here as they are all dead set that they weren't Beardies and much larger than an average Beardy, My wife got close enough that she actually had to come to a complete stop so that she didn't hit it before it ran off and she describes it as being about 2 1/2 feet long.

It also occurs in southern Papua New Guinea and southern West Papua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back