Frillies....does & donts please!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon lady

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My friend has a 14mnth old male....still looking for particular female..but!
once she has acquired one ..

if a female adult.....will both have to be housed separately or liken to the bearded can be housed together?
if housed together all year do they need to be re-introduced before mating?
will the male or female do trauma to the eggs....will the male eat the eggs thus needing the male to be in separate habitat when time for laying is close?
from copulation to lay how long?
from lay to hatch how long?

Each species have different traits from small ..dwarf dragons to the kamodo... from pygmy monitors to the perentie ...

you can never know enough ....learning is in each of us & if any of you has knowledge on this subject it will be appreciated!

Last edited:
The Herp Shop hosts Paul and Toni Cutis's excellent frilly care sheet.

There is not a lot that isn't covered in it.

visit http://www.herpshop.com.au -> "Links and Care Sheets" -> "Keeping Frill Neck Lizards"

Ta ...already have it... but appreciated thoughts...
after some hands on experience.........they are not a common reptile to have being that care taken & permits you need for them

Do you have a Class 3 permit?

I have spoken to plenty of keepers and they aren't as hard to keep as people make out. According to the people I've spoken to.

an adult pr should do fine together dragon lady,just watch them over the breeding season as the male may get over keen with his desires to mate,which can stress the females,especially if gravid,so u can seperate them till she lays if need be,otherwise yeah they will be fine

Rocket- my friend has the required permit..... getting mine as soon as she gets the female
as i raise the hatchies of all our stock.
yes their personalities are great...........but my friend only has a (1) male as yet ,i was asking about co-habitation ,the does & donts... just like you can have snakes living together BUT lots of donts!
its the keepers opinions & people that have had some dealings with the species that im asking opinions ..but i am greatfull for all advice,thankyou

Richardsc- have heard that liken to beardies ,the frilly male tends to hold on to the frill... but sometimes with tearing of the females frill that can be traumatic.
I separate my females 2 weeks after mating anyway... lets them concentrate on themselves
Hoping the season has been good to you!

So can they live together 365 days a year or have to be re-introduced?
Are they known to eat their own eggs?

Last edited:
A friend keeps his frillies together all year around.

She never seems to get hassled overly by the male, and the floor is just newspaper with a nesting box.

There are plenty of vines in the enclosure where she has her own space.

They have bred with no problems this way.

Gillsy- thanks .....that helped... Elvis (the King !!) is in a 2 ft deep,4 ft high, 6 ft long habitat
we replace the spindley branches every 1 1/2 -2 wks with fresh ones...he loves the smell!
have sand in the bottom of his habitat & a large nesting box ready for a female about 2/3rds down the tank nearer to the cool end...hope thats right? and we use a kitty litter tray for water at the cool end.
He has quite a few large up right tree trunks of varying widths that he jumps from one to
another on frequently.... he also gets fed in another tank with live foods.

Do they eat their own eggs?

Last edited:
an adult pr should do fine together dragon lady,just watch them over the breeding season as the male may get over keen with his desires to mate,which can stress the females,especially if gravid,so u can seperate them till she lays if need be,otherwise yeah they will be fine

Stress the females, I've seen the result of a male which broke the jaw of another male after killing a female through the breeding season. I think Andrew Melrose has lost a female during breeding season as well.

So this person keeps males together in his habitats?
Would like to chat with breeders....
We have all seen or heard of traumatic results... but is it because of 2 males in 1 habitat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back