Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikie wanna cricket

Reaction score
ok i dont have photos as i am at work but we have had a frog handed in green with yellow feet and underbelly any idea on what he is? he is only small 2cm

yer well someone picked it up outside a fruit shop

next question what should we do with it were do we release it ?
should we feed it ?
etc
etc
etc

It should really be quaranteened and kept in captivity(or euthanaised) if it came from somewhere else, i have no idea f the legal issues related to this though. Releasing it certainly has the potential to do far more harm than good.

It can't be released, drop it in to someone who goes to the FATS meetings, or someone who keeps Dainties. If it looks to be in good condition, it won't need food. It will need to be heated to eat at this time of year. If your stuck, you can drop it off to me, I can organise for it to go to the FATS meeting, where it will get sold cheaply to members.

Mainly due to the risk of disease transfer, chytrid fungus being the main concern.

A lot of frogs do come down to Sydney from the north and they shouldn't be released because they may be carrying chytrid fungus or other diseases from up north. Also many species from up north would find it difficult to survive over winter here in Sydney. From your description it does sound like a Dainty Green Tree Frog (Litoria gracilenta).

The frog can't be sold because it is a wild frog and you need a licence to keep frogs in NSW. Best thing to do would be to contact FATS on 0419-249-728 and they should be able to arrange for someone to pick it up. Alternatively one of the members here could take it to a FATS meeting for you.

If the frog is in your possession for a while you should provide it with a container with a bit of water and somewhere to hide (empty cup, large leaf from the garden that has been washed carefully with water etc). Most rescued frogs don't eat straight away but if you have small crickets it wouldn't hurt to put some in and see if it eats any.

Aaron

thx aaron thats alot of help we will be keeping it for a while at our clinic to make sure it is clean otherwise if it gets sick euthansia may be considered

we will not be euthanising it unless that is what is needed due to health concerns i am afraid you have misunderstood the situation. i work at a local vet and that is where it is staying therefore it is legal and we will be caring for it dont worry about that. my boss is quite interested in it as he has just finished another major in wildlife studies

Fair enough, but I don't see how euthansia comes into it at all, unless you want to permanently keep the frog you should allow FATS to manage the situation, which includes quaranting the frog and deciding its future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back