FROG ID . Needed ! PLeaZ

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I find out for sure what he is ??? and if hes poisonous etc?

I found it its a Dusty Toadlet , but theres no info on them ... My kids wanna hold it but I wont let them till I know if its poisonous .

Last edited:
Uperoleia sp and they do secrete toxins.

Cheers,
scott

Please note, they are called “toadlets” because the they have a superficial resemblance to small toads but they are, of course, frogs. We only have one toad in Australia – the Cane Toad.
It looks more like Tyler’s Toadlet ( Uperoleia tyleri) than it does the Smooth Toadlet (Uperoleia laevigata). Tyler’s Toadlet has a dark belly all over while the Smooth Toadlet has white with darker marking.

Blue

South Eastern Uperoleia is taxonomic mess at the moment, there is at least one undescribed species on the coastal region of NSW. Separation via ventral surface colour alone is tentative and is best used in conjuction with call analysis. Having said that it appears closer to tyleri/martini complex rather than laevigata.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

I had a feeling I might be able to squeeze a bit more info out you Scott. I must admit that I do enjoy picking that marvellous brain of yours. Thanks mate.

Based on my limited knowledge of their taxonomy, Uperoleia do seem to be quite plastic in their genetics, displaying a particularly strong capacity for adaptive radiation within what are often fairly limited geographical areas.

Cheers,
Mike

More likely Uperoleia fusca than Uperoleia laevigata, could be of the tyleri/martini complex. Is definitely not the new coastal species (Nowra is not coastal enough and it looks nothing like the coastal species). Am 100% sure it is Uperoleia genus.

Nothing wrong with holding it the worst any Australian frog toxin gonna do is give you a sting on an open wound or give you really itchy eyes, the important thing is you just wash your hand after holding it. (Except maye P.corroboree they have some nasty stuff in their skin)

Last edited:
The frog in question “has a marbled black/grey/white belly and throat”.

The Dusky Toadlet (Uperoleia fusca) is reportedly only found north of Sydney and its belly is cream with grey-brown speckling.

The belly of the Smooth Toadlet (Uperoleia laevigata) is pale and has areas with and without tiny spots - giving a patchy appearance.

The belly of Tyler’s Toadlet (U. tyleri/maini complex) is dark grey or blue-black in colour with small white spots.

On the basis of the information available, I still think Tyler’s Toadlet is the closest match. If the males can be heard calling at night then you can use the following website to compare what you hear with the recorded call for that species. Given the similarity between calls of the latter two - both produce a squelching sound, I’d recommend recording the call if at all possible. Frogs Australia Network - Full list of Australian Frogs

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back