Frog not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My frog hasn't been eating lately. He's gotten noticeably skinnier. I bought him feeder fish today and he was in the water so I'm hoping he was chasing after them since he never went into the water prior to me buying these fish.
I did notice there was a dropping on one of the leaves yesterday which indicates he must have eaten SOMETHING but he's still so skinny. Would a frog intentionally let itself starve when there's food available for it at alltimes? Could it just be because of the colder weather that he's not eating because of the estivation or whatever it is frog's go into?
I'm worried. I've had him for about 5 months and he's never been a big eater but he's never been skinny either. Any tips?

It would help to give more information as in type of frog, what food have you kept available to it, what is it kept in, is it heated. And anything else you may think of!

He's a GTF, has alot of feeder fish and a few shrimps for food, a couple of mealies. I had to give up on the crickets when I changed the setup as they kept drowning. It's kept in a2ft x 1ft vivarium with lots of branches and other climbing stuff. The water is heated.
As said, he's never been a big eater but lately he's just stopped.

Feeder fish, shrimp and mealworms are not an appropriate diet for a green tree frog. It is almost definately a husbandry related issue as to why he is not eating. Have you tried tong feeding him crickets or roaches? Maybe post a picture of the frog and another of the setup and you will give me a better idea of whats going on.

No I havent tried tong feeding him. I don't have any crickets or roaches at the moment but will get some. Why aren't feeder fish appropriate? Most of my fellow frog keepers that I know use them for food.
I don't have a photo of the enclosure as I just rearranged it today but will take some tomorrow. I'll grab a photo of the frog.

Its colder, and if he is an adult, you might find its just slowed down its eating.

Yes crickets are the dumbest creatures on earth. The day someone breeds supercrickets that can swim will make a fortune!

feeder fish aren't the natural diet for green tree frogs. Prolonged feeding of them to this species could be quite harmful in the long run. The same applies to shrimp. Try offering some appropriate sized crickets on some feeding tong to your frog and see what happens. If it shows no interest gently rub the cricket along the side of the frogs mouth and this may lead to a feeding response.

Picture1032.jpg

Him about 4 months ago in an old enclosure

Picture1149.jpg

About 2 months ago

Picture1103.jpg

Also 2 months ago

Its colder, and if he is an adult, you might find its just slowed down its eating.

Yes crickets are the dumbest creatures on earth. The day someone breeds supercrickets that can swim will make a fortune!

Yeah he is an adult. That's what I thought, that because of the weather he just wasn't eating at much. I'm just worried. I love this little frog. And tell me about it with the crickets! I put them in there and the first thing they do is run staight into the water then swim around in circles. I take them out and they run straight back in!

Thanks python. I will try that!

Most frog poo you find in the wild has heaps of bugs in it and I always find them under the fluro in front of the outhouse at the pub when I go bush. I don't know enough about frogs to be sure but I had them as a kid in Sydney and they would jump the length of a 4 foot tank to get cockies or moths so I think some bugs would help. Sounds like the set-up needs to change again. GTF's don't actually live in water do they I thought it was just beside it.

Ok, firstly that is no Green Tree Frog, Litoria caerulea, that is a Dainty Tree Frog, Litoria gracilenta. It appears to be suffering from nose rub, often a sign of stress. In frogs, this sort of damage can lead to bacterial infections. With this species I suggest you keep it slightly warmer than what you would keep a green tree frog at. Cover the cage and leave it undisturbed (no handling) for at least a week. Continue to offer small crickets and other small insects, but give the feeder fish and shrimp a miss. Hopefully this should encourage a feeding response. Give the cage a light mist of water every couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back