frog question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Catcher Victoria

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
can someone please explain the difference between southern and northern gtf..im told these northern ones that i got last night,are different in that they grow larger and their eyes ,im told, are set higher on their head..and obviously they need to be kept warmer than the southern,,makes sense i spose but i still would like some imfo
heres a pic of some of the lilguys :D

can someone please explain the difference between southern and northern gtf.

Green tree frogs vary considerably across their range, but the terms "northern" and "southern" are too vague to say anything about. The ones I've seen in what you'd call "north" have varied a heap - the ones in the top end (NT) have been big and more of a yellowish green, often with yellow hands and feet. The North QLD ones I've seen have been smaller and more dull than anywhere else. I've heard a few people report the same thing. Yes, you'll no doubt find exceptional specimens in both areas. The ones from most of the east coast are usually a bright green and in some areas they have white spots, I've mostly seen this in NSW, but I'm not sure about it being representative of the general trends. I've never seen an adult in the top part of NT with white spots, although most of the metamorphs I've seen have had them.

In central Australia they are much smaller, usually have many small speckles and are different in colour. I've never seen it, but the males are said to turn red when in amplexus, the go bright green immediately afterwards. The central ones are now usually considered a seperate species - Litoria gilleni.

Yes lots of morphs have white spots which disappear with age. The central ones are a separate species without doubt. ......I'd turn red when on the job in the desert too...lol

ok, when i bought these i was told they were l.caerulea, theyre definitly not the central l.gilleni and im sure theyre not l. splendida to..of course l caerulea have been bred to death everywhere,but im told these particular "northern" l.caerulea have hardly been bred here at all..is this right ??

another pic,before its lost to thread limbo
im not doing the fly thing agin,flies everywhere now,stick to lil crix from now on i think,lol
p.s dont open jar of flies in the house

oh yeh ,the parents of these are from the kimberly area of w.a if thats any help

Saying so would have been MUCH more helpful than calling them "northern"! ;)

I've only seen one pair of Kimberley caeruleas in captivity. They looked a little similar to some that I've seen in northern NT, but they were very old (no doubt wild caught).

If you're sure they're pure, make sure you keep the line that way!
Cool stuff! :D Congratulations :)

insectovor said:
Looks very good , can I ask how much for the cage and what size is it??

Ill 2nd that, did the faux rock come with it?

hey guys, i have 2 free tree frogs if anyone is intrested there small about 6cm eating very well and are excellent colours, 1 has a slightly bent back which it developed from a tadpole very nice frogs though. pick up from mooroolbacrk, melbourne

LAMU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back