Frog Setup - need advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWillieStyles

Reaction score
Hello all,

im am trying to set up a frog enclosure. The only problem I am finding is the large number of brands of accessories confusing and dont really have a clue which to pick. So far, most shop owners havent been really unhelpful. I already have an enclosure. Its a zoo med tank which came recommended over the exo terra. It looks great, the only problem is that it lacks a 3d background.;) I plan on having a heater in the bottom that heats some water to heat the tank. I also want to have some sort of small waterfall and lots of real plants.

I know I will need an aquarium heater, a filter, an air pump (for small waterfall). Can anyone recommend decent items that you use?
Do I need two pumps or one for running a filter and waterfall?

I priced a silicon background today that was going to cost me 55 dollars per foot, 100 dollars seems a bit rich for a piece of silicon.

William

Last edited:
what kind of frog are u setting it up for?
and how big is the enclosure?

Hey
Just get an ordinary fish filter then use the outake pipe for the waterfall.
I'm pretty sure since your so far down south that you will need to heat the water but not to high.

As for the back ground, make your own. Its cheap probably will look better, you could even encorporate the waterfall into it so its one whole piece.

What are you going to use for substrate???
And how are you going to separate the water area from the land?

exo-terra are coming out with new enclosures soon, and i have one and love it. used to have green tree frogs, now it has a beardie, coped fine with water and held it great and more importantly costs less than zoo-med stuff for the same functionality. but zoo-med do have fantastic products and i havnt been able to fault them with anything either. Jannico's suggestion is good, but im unsure as to how much water you are planning on having in this enclosure? a very small pump and a very small heater would do quite easily. if the pump has a filter on it then all the better. fish filter may be too big if you are getting a 45x45x60 enclosure and planning on having areas of ground. if the bottom is to be all water then it shoudl be fine

Hey
Just get an ordinary fish filter then use the outake pipe for the waterfall.
I'm pretty sure since your so far down south that you will need to heat the water but not to high.

As for the back ground, make your own. Its cheap probably will look better, you could even encorporate the waterfall into it so its one whole piece.

What are you going to use for substrate???
And how are you going to separate the water area from the land?

Thanks for the help. I was thinking of making a background with some expanda foam like some other members have done, but figured that it might not look as good, and could potentially cost me quite a bit.

Im planning on only using large river stones as I have heard smaller ones can be eaten by the frogs and also dont want to use soil as I would imagine it would be much harder to maintain. Im hoping to just arrange the rocks in a manner where they get higher towards the rear of the tank. And I might attempt to get some Riccia (moss like plant) to attach to some of the rocks and log.

Jannico's suggestion is good, but im unsure as to how much water you are planning on having in this enclosure? a very small pump and a very small heater would do quite easily. if the pump has a filter on it then all the better. fish filter may be too big if you are getting a 45x45x60 enclosure and planning on having areas of ground. if the bottom is to be all water then it shoudl be fine

Probably not that much water, up to the doors I guess. Ive seen some similar setups at pet stores that look quite good. I too was wondering if a filter was absolutely necessary to have a filter in as well as the waterfall.

Last edited:
This is my set up for my red eyes.
Its about the same size as yours.
photo.php

exo-terra are coming out with new enclosures soon, and i have one and love it

What are these new enclosures? And when are they coming? I have recently ordered a larger home for my frogs from exo-terra, but it's not too late to change if something better is coming soon... :)

they are apparently releasing larger cage sizes, i can find out tomorrow and PM you in the arvo if you would like as to what new is coming out, but i am looking forward to seeing them also.

I have the PT2612 (60x45x60cm) ordered, which is big enough - but I am interested in whether the new ones will be a different style so if that is the case yeah PM would be great ta!

I have the PT2612 (60x45x60cm) ordered, which is big enough - but I am interested in whether the new ones will be a different style so if that is the case yeah PM would be great ta!

not quite sure if they will be in a different style, i have heard new range, specifically size, but will let you know when i ask my mate who knows much more about it than i do. Will let you know

This is my frog set up. I recently posted a new thread about it (my upgraded frog resort), but if you haven't seen it here it is again.

I too use large river pebbles on the land area as apposed to small gravel for the same reasons. It is also a lot easier to clean a dozen pebbles than a bucket of gravel. Although I use peat under the gravel as I find its a better source to build up the flooring height and it absorbs any nasty smells or liquids. If you're going to have large water section I suggest putting large rocks or something similar in it so the frogs can climb out. It also helps with the food, woodies and crickets etc can't swim and are quite stupid when it comes to water!

I use a small fish water filter and have a fish water heater which work great. The filter has a small adjustable output hole which I can increase or decrease the speed of the water flow. Frogs don't like huge water flow, probably just enough to circulate the warm water around.

I hope this has been of some help. :D

Attachments

• Frog resort.jpg
    Frog resort.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Frog fun.jpg
    Frog fun.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 192
This is my frog set up. I recently posted a new thread about it (my upgraded frog resort), but if you haven't seen it here it is again.

I too use large river pebbles on the land area as apposed to small gravel for the same reasons. It is also a lot easier to clean a dozen pebbles than a bucket of gravel. Although I use peat under the gravel as I find its a better source to build up the flooring height and it absorbs any nasty smells or liquids. If you're going to have large water section I suggest putting large rocks or something similar in it so the frogs can climb out. It also helps with the food, woodies and crickets etc can't swim and are quite stupid when it comes to water!

I use a small fish water filter and have a fish water heater which work great. The filter has a small adjustable output hole which I can increase or decrease the speed of the water flow. Frogs don't like huge water flow, probably just enough to circulate the warm water around.

I hope this has been of some help. :D

Very helpful. Your tank looks great.

What brand is the water heater and pump?

Um...not sure what brand it is, but it wasn't too expensive. Just make sure you get a plastic guard for any water heaters so the frogs don't burn themselves. They will sit on it to get warm!

yeah, I am on a budget, but I figured I would get a decent heater because of the safety.

I took a trip to Bunnings yesterday and sussed out the materials for making a background. Found everything cheaper than I thought. Am planning on making it on a removable piece of either mdf, foam or perspex. I was wondering how to hide the wiring and thought maybe I could incorporate a PVC pipe into the side which the cords could hide in.

Also took a quick trip to the local aquarium/reptile shop and was shocked at the prices of driftwood!:shock:

Last edited:
I've just finished making a fake background and put a large hose in the foam by laying the hose first then spraying the expando foam over the top. I would recomend using one that has less expanding voluume as it would make it easyer to cover with the silicone and stuff. If your going to try and mount it on foam, make sure its a tight fit because foam floats and you may have trouble keeping it in place. I live in geelong and i use a water heater and a pump/filter and my GTFs are happy and healthy, they even bred last year.

I've just finished making a fake background and put a large hose in the foam by laying the hose first then spraying the expando foam over the top. I would recomend using one that has less expanding voluume as it would make it easyer to cover with the silicone and stuff. If your going to try and mount it on foam, make sure its a tight fit because foam floats and you may have trouble keeping it in place. I live in geelong and i use a water heater and a pump/filter and my GTFs are happy and healthy, they even bred last year.

A quick question, when your frogs bred did you turn your water filter flow down? I've heard they don't like laying eggs in moving water. How was your set up going at that time?

I took a trip to Bunnings yesterday and sussed out the materials for making a background. Found everything cheaper than I thought. Am planning on making it on a removable piece of either mdf, foam or perspex.:shock:

If you used MDF it might rot in the constant dampness.... Foam or perspex would be better I think...

Also if you are looking for some great live plant to use - I use Bromeliads - They sell them at Bunnings and you can take them out of their dirt and they will survive without a substrate at all - you can sit them anywhere you like in your tank - All they require is to have their centers filled with water occasionally... My frogs love to sit on and in them - I just make sure that when I fill them with water that the water is treated like I would treat the frog's pond water because they will sit in it... They look amazing and tropical!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back