Frozen frogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCHERPS

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Found this interesting article in the 'Guiness book of records'.

Most Cold Resistant Animal
The woodland frog is the only animal able to survive after it's been frozen. These frogs live north of the Artic circle and survive for weeks in a frozen state. Glucose in their blood acts as a kind of antifreeze that concentrates on the frogs' vital organs, protecting them from damage while the rest of the body freezes solid. When ice forms on the frog's skin its heart may slow until it stops completely, making it appear dead. Although up to 65% of its body water can get frozen, its cells aren't. What freezes is the water outside the cells. Once the outside temperature rises the frog "comes back to life" as if nothing happened.

Natures amazing isn't it ! Wonder if Science will ever find a way that we can do that, maybe wake up years later like in the film 'Alien' or something? LOL!

well thats a really interesting frog, i wish us humans could do that, get defrosted in the future

Mmmm frogcicles!.....Coming back from Mallacoota last weekend my wife looks at me in disbelief as I pulled the car up smack in the middle of the road in the pouring rain, jumped out, and came back in with a bullfrog I almost flattened! Had it been a toad it would be about 1mm thick by now. I love frogs........

:p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moosenoose wrote:
I love frogs........

Bit rubbery for me! I prefer chicken. LOL!

Frogs legs are eaten in most parts of the world. The texture is not unlike chicken and the taste would have to be described as subtle. Fish tastes like fish oddly enough and frog tastes oddly like frog.
It is not rubbery unless you are eating rubber frogs of course.
I have prepared and cooked frogs legs in my cheffing days. Both french and SE Asian styles. I have had West indian style as well.
Peter

Thats right moosegoose. Most things actually taste like themselves.
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back