Frozen Rat Prices

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow that's excellent. Thanks for the info Devil. Maybe I'll start line breeding and see if I can get some interesting stuff going...right before I gas them that is

to breed or not to breed...that is the question!!! Hmmm sounds familiar..lol

Ive only got a small snake collection. Have bred my own rats for a few yrs and have sold to the public in my local area for about 18mths. I cant tell u what each costs per day to grow out, but my bottom line tells me its been worth it for me to breed my own, while also selling to people. I sell reasonably cheap, comparatively with others, and struggle to keep up with numbers most of teh time

If I was doing it as a business, Id want to be selling a hell of alot more than what I do now. at present I cover costs and make a little on top which goes to furthering my hobbies. I definately wouldnt however go into it as a money making idea, unless your prepared to do it on a large scale. I generally make about $1.80 back on every $1 i spend (food/bedding/waste disposal), however it does take a while to regain initial investment spent making racks/buying water sippers/tubs etcc...I also dont generally breed much bigger than 300g, as it greatly increases your time and costs

Anyway, theres my 2bits worth.

Cheers
Colby

We run three different production facilities- one in Queensland, one in Northern NSW and one in Newcastle. We import new males between our facilities to change bloodlines just to be safe although since each facilitiy runs thousands of rrodents it probably isn't necessary. The rats are generally pretty consistent with any problems occuring in the mice.

You should also factor in the cost of your time to keep and maintain your colony to give you a true indication of the costs involved. If you earn say $25 and hour and you spend 5 hours a week cleaning and maintaining your colony, then that is another $125/week added to your costs. That is 5 hours you could spend doing something else.

I have to respectfully disagree Hugsta. When you do something because you enjoy it or because it is a hobby you don't count the time. I don't add up the hours I play my xbox each week for example.
However, if you are trying to make money from it then yes that is a reasonably consideration

with my 2 tubs i spend probably 10-15mins a week on them. If you only have a few the time spent on them isnt even worth considering as a cost

gotta be happy

my sister just picked up from solar 17 five jumbo rats for thirty five bucks and twenty weaner rats for forty bucks and is delivering them to me l gotta be happy with that

im thinking about getting mine from a seller on this site ( no names ) but have been wondering about guarantees etc , what if I get a bad batch and my snakes get sick or die ????

I'm pretty sure there are no guarantees for something like that. Why do you assume you would get a bad batch? You could speak to people who have gotten them from that supplier and see if they have ever had issues if you're really concerned

It would have to work out cheaper breeding you own. I don't yet but got 20 large fuzzy rats the other day of a breeder for bout $35 still cheap. I walked into the biggest petshop in penrith and it would have cost $100 for 20 small fuzzy rat. I am getting fuzzy mice from the same petshop for my diamond and it cost more to feed the diamond than my darwin eating the fuzzy rats.

I will breed my own but once again can't until I buy my own house. Damn family

I have to respectfully disagree Hugsta. When you do something because you enjoy it or because it is a hobby you don't count the time. I don't add up the hours I play my xbox each week for example.
However, if you are trying to make money from it then yes that is a reasonably consideration

The trouble with breeding rodents is that it does in fact take time away from your hobby.It is very easy to end up spending more time looking after the rodents than it does looking after and spending time with your reptiles.

The trouble with breeding rodents is that it does in fact take time away from your hobby.It is very easy to end up spending more time looking after the rodents than it does looking after and spending time with your reptiles.
without a doubt i spend more time tending to the rats then i do with any of my reptiles , but im lucky because i have all the time in the world [ dont work ] .

I understand what you are saying Saximus and don't disagree, however, we are comparing breeding your own to buying them in a shop or from a backyard breeder. So it has a lot do with it. The people selling them need to cover their costs when selling rats, no point in a shop giving them to you at cost price due to their overheads etc., same with a backyard breeder. And, when you are breeding your own, you need to consider the full cost of them to compare with buying them. So, for eg, you need to factor in all your expenses, including time, to give you a real value for money. You may be able to save yourself a few dollars by breeding them, but some people would just prefer to go to the shop or their mate once a week or month to stock up and not have to worry about storing food/shavings, dealing with the smell and the constant maintainence, even moreso if you are going away. You must weigh up all pros and cons for a true comparison.

Hey Devil,

You must be an animal tech or something?

Dan

No Dan, I'm not a animal tech. The information I posted came from a publication put out by a place in Melbourne and another in Perth that breed rats and mice for the medical researchers.
I was also reading that there is a line of in-bred rats that can be tracked back to 1870. I would hate to think how many generations that is.

Oh ok, just asked as i'm one and by the sounds of it you know your breeding. I do a lot of inbreeding and outbreeding in rats and mice. Deformaties are rare. One thing that can happen are smaller litter sizes and weaker litters over time when inbreeding. Its always good to throw some new genes in the gene pool..

Cheers,

Dan

Wow 1870 that's impressive.
I guess it can't hurt to mix up the gene pool a bit but good to know inbreeding is still possible.
Hugsta you do make strong points. I guess I've grown to like the little guys almost like pets but time should be considered if it's purely just being done for food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back