Full Moon - Bad Crimes!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21861044-5012763,00.html

EXTRA police officers are to be deployed on the streets of a British city after research established a direct link between the full moon and violence.

Analysts at Sussex Police found a rise in unruly incidents at full moon while investigating external factors that influence people’s behaviour.

Together with the most common paydays, the full moon was identified as a particular time when aggressive behaviour rose among drinkers in pubs and nightclubs in Brighton and Hove, East Sussex.

Inspector Andy Parr said that he would like universities to examine further the link with the lunar cycle.

“I compared a graph of full moons and a graph of last year’s violent crimes and there is a trend,” he said.

“I’d be interested in approaching the universities and seeing if any of their postgraduates would be interested in looking into it further. This could be helpful to us.”

Mr Parr admitted that the idea might sound fanciful, but he added: “There are many things we are still learning about. The Moon has a strong influence on tides and magnetic forces can influence people’s psyche.”

Scientific studies have identified the link between the full moon and extremes in human behaviour. In a recent paper, The Lunar Cycle: Effects on Human and Animal Behaviour and Physiology, Michal Zimecki, of the Polish Academy of Sciences, analysed studies that took into account lunar activity.

He claimed that a full moon could affect criminal activity and health, leading to an increase in crime and admissions to hospital. He said that the effects were so marked that it “may be helpful in police surveillance and medical practice”.

In 1998 a three-month psychological study of 1,200 inmates in the maximum security wing at Armley jail, Leeds, discovered a rise in violent incidents in the days before and after a full moon.

Superstitions involving the Moon can be traced back centuries. In the 17th century, Sir William Hale, the Chief Justice, was explicit about the connection between the Moon and a person’s mental state: “The Moon has great influence on all diseases of the brain, especially dementia.”

As well as madness, the full moon was associated with lycanthropy, in which a man becomes a werewolf.

People are also more likely to be or to feel ill. Research at Leeds University found that the number of requests for GP consultations rose by 3.6 per cent when the moon was full.

But for all the studies that claim to have found a link between the lunar cycle and human behaviour, no one has been able to explain it. Some believe that, as humans are mostly made of water, lunar gravity pulls us in the same way as it does the sea.

** ** ** SLiM6y's Word ** ** **

Ok - can someone help me here?

1) The moon is ALWAYS full, but we can only see a small fraction of the moon depending on location of the moon/sun.

So how can a full moon affect us?

2) One assumption that the full moon affects some animals is because it can aid in them seeing at night (on a clear night) and therefore they become far more active (this is my own theory incidentally). Could that be the same with criminals? I would have thought conversely - you wouldn't want to be 'seen' as a crim!

3) We are affected by gravity on the earth due to the pull of the sun and the moon. This is what gives rise to tides etc. But the earth is jolly large and we as humans are jolly small. The earth is around 70% (not exact) water and humans are around 80% water. But the earth is affected by gravity because of its huge size. Humans are not affected by Newtonian gravity at all!

4) Werewolf stories etc and other myth have kept the human imagination burning for countless centuries. So why stop now?

5) This is where science can no longer help the innocent - we're beyond help - unless of course we blow up the moon and that'll stop crime the world over!

Your comments?

C'mon where are all the Dragon Ball Z fans out there. Blame it on a giant monkey :)

All objects including humans are affected by gravity.
At uni we figured out the affect from the moon and I think it was the equivalent to a 1cm square piece of paper stuck on your back. How that raises crime beats me.

All objects including humans are affected by gravity.
At uni we figured out the affect from the moon and I think it was the equivalent to a 1cm square piece of paper stuck on your back. How that raises crime beats me.

Yes I did the same thing for the students in year 12 physics - they were happy to notice that they didn't have tidal regions!

It's just bollocks!

I think they may mean the moon's position relative to the earth when it appears full and perhaps the effects have less to do with the pull of gravity over our bodies and more to do with its pull on the earth as a whole, including us and all the wonderful animals. Perhaps it has more to do with the positions of the tides and slight changes in electromagnetic forces affecting the electric charge of our brain.

Not my theories just food for thought. This would however be an interesting area for more research. If only large companies these days had more interest in the thirst for knowledge rather than the hunger for impossible amounts of cash.

Do the tides affect the magnetic fields surrounding the Earth?

Actually, it doesn't matter where the moon is we still get high and low tides, I guess it changes whether it's a spring or a neap tide though. But at present I can't see why it would affect the magnetic fields surrounding the Earth.

By that theory then just walking near powerlines would have a greater affect as the electro-magnetic field that occurs around them is quite substantial (depending on current and distance from them).

Then of course the mobile phones and theire electromagnetic waves... the list goes on.

Food for thought for sure - but does it really have anything to do with the moon?

I am a skeptic like you Slim6y. The gravity of the moon would mean that we have twice daily swings in aggression (Like two tides each day).

The full moon means greater visibility for a crim without the aid of a torch and can still hide well in shadows and the such.

It will be hard to properly check to prove one way or the other with regards to the effects because some people already think full moon ='s aggro. Hence can be more likely to be aggro on full moon. A self fulfilling prophecy unfortunately.

http://www.healthieryou.com/mhexpert/exp1010504e.html.

An aussie study didnt support the idea apparently.

'The notion that the phases of the moon can influence behavior is certainly an ancient one, as reflected in the origins of the word, "lunacy" (luna=moon). On the whole, there is not much evidence to support his view. In one Australian study, the relationship between lunar cycles and violent or aggressive behavior was examined [Owen et al, Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, August 1998]. No significant relationship was found between violence and any phase of the moon. Similarly, an English study [Wilkinson et al, International Journal of Social Psychiatry Spring 1997] found no correlation between phases of the moon and consultations for anxiety and depression in general medical practice.'

It hasn't been disproved beyond all doubt yet that mobile phones and powerlines do cause madness or changes in mood. Im not sure because Im far more of a biologist than a physicist but would the tidal movement of that great big electrolyte, the ocean, possibly be able to cause slight variations in the Earth's magnetic fields? Being a physics teacher maybe you can shed a bit more light on that one for me.

Do the tides become more or less extreme at all with the progression of the lunar cycle?

http://www.healthieryou.com/mhexpert/exp1010504e.html.

An aussie study didnt support the idea apparently.

'The notion that the phases of the moon can influence behavior is certainly an ancient one, as reflected in the origins of the word, "lunacy" (luna=moon). On the whole, there is not much evidence to support his view. In one Australian study, the relationship between lunar cycles and violent or aggressive behavior was examined [Owen et al, Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, August 1998]. No significant relationship was found between violence and any phase of the moon. Similarly, an English study [Wilkinson et al, International Journal of Social Psychiatry Spring 1997] found no correlation between phases of the moon and consultations for anxiety and depression in general medical practice.'

Well there we have it, two studies against the one opinion, I think we can safely say now that there are no lycanthropes or LUNAtics running around out there.

Cops and paramedics will tell you that the full moon is a busier time for them, and anyone who works in a pub would say the same..
This months full moon will be a blue moon.

i agree slim. wether it is full or not, the moon is still there!
the more logical reason for busier crime, pubs and hospitals is that it is a brighter night and more people will feel like going out.

although in the past womens menstrual cycle was referred as her "moons" cycle and we all know the aggression and violence associated with that, right men? :lol:

The full moon may make the night brighter in poorly lit areas, but in large cities there are lights everywhere, the light of the moon often pales in comparison to the amount of artificial light at ground level, and as ssssnakeman mentioned some popular pubs and clubs report increases in the troublesome patrons on full moon nights. Now I imagine that inside a pub or club the light of the moon has no bearing on the brightness of the night at all, and often trouble is started by people who would be out whether the moon is full or not

The full moon may make the night brighter in poorly lit areas, but in large cities there are lights everywhere, the light of the moon often pales in comparison to the amount of artificial light at ground level, and as ssssnakeman mentioned some popular pubs and clubs report increases in the troublesome patrons on full moon nights. Now I imagine that inside a pub or club the light of the moon has no bearing on the brightness of the night at all, and often trouble is started by people who would be out whether the moon is full or not

yes, but... more people probably decided to go out in the first place because it is a bright night, this makes the pubs and clubs bussier and more likely for trouble to occur.

Cops and paramedics will tell you that the full moon is a busier time for them, and anyone who works in a pub would say the same..

Dont work in pubs any more but yep I'll 2nd that one easily. Maybe the tidal effects are more pronounced when your full of piss lol

I dont think its got anything to do with gravity or magnetic fields, i saw a documentary on the moon and how it affected us as earlie man. Traditionally men used to take the oportunity to hunt when the moon was brighter and would leave the 'tribe' coincidently woman would have their period at the same time and both would be out of each other hair. The fact that womens menstrual cycles often follow the cycle of the moons(even in todays bustling society) could also explain why men are more inclined to go out and have a good 'hunt'. lol. just my two bobs.

but grimbeny, if the menstural cycle was on the moon cycle then tampons and other sanitary items would only be sold by that time of the moon cycle. And as it happens - yse, a 'good/ menstural cycle should be around 28 days (apparently) so unless they time it right - i don't think the moon phase and menstural cycle coincide (other than coincidentally :) ).

On the same facts - going hunting when the moon is full and your partner is in the period part of her menstration cycle has many benefits :)

As paramedics my husband and I can both agree with this ssssnakeman... Full moons bring out all the fruit cakes, spoons, and loony tunes making it busy nights for us.... And alot of work mates will agree that it's for about 3 day's on either side of the full moon too....

but grimbeny, if the menstural cycle was on the moon cycle then tampons and other sanitary items would only be sold by that time of the moon cycle. And as it happens - yse, a 'good/ menstural cycle should be around 28 days (apparently) so unless they time it right - i don't think the moon phase and menstural cycle coincide (other than coincidentally :) ).

The documentary i saw was very strong in its beleife that in old times womens menstrual cycles usually matched up with the phases of the moon. I dont know if this has followed through in current times i doubt our bodies would know what phase the moon is in. This is one possible explanation for the increased madness on full moons which my sister(a nurse) has also observed.

On a side note, is the moon actually any closer to us during a full moon. Arnt the phases of the moon governed by the shadow of the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back