Fungus in turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdestiny

Reaction score
Hi
I have been treating a few short neck turtlles in one pond for fungus, and now I have noticed that some of the short necks in another, separate pond are getting it too (which I have started to treat also) although the long necked turtles are all ok. Are the short neck species more susceptible to fungus than long necked species?
Also is it preferable to use Betadine ointment rather than Betadine in liquid form?
Thanks in advance.
Allan
http://turtletownsydney.tripod.com/

Best person to ask is Expansa1, hes the turtle authority around here lol. Im sure he wont mind helping you out with advice there.

ild use the liquid or atleast that what ive always used

theres also a regular fish fungus cure

put some of thtin your pond as well

also allan
who owns that huge 45 yr old turt on your turtle town web page

The huge Mary River turtle belongs to Craig and Gabrielle (expansa1) who brought it from QLD to the AFTCRA stand at the Reptile Expo last weekend, it's the same one that Spike also was photographed with.
BTW Craig has advised that short necks are not more susceptible to fungus that long necks, however those that are under stress will usually be predisposed to it. He also believes that fungus is contagious between turtles although it won't affect all turtles.
Allan

There is a good guide to treating it in Craig's care sheet on the wiki. It is fairly brief but its all you really need to know.

Thank Cris, I have been treating it with Betadine, dry docking and a UV lamp. Also turned off the pond pump for 24 hours and treated the pond with Fungus Aide. The pump was turned off so the treatment doesn't get to the filter and kill the good bacteria.

The huge Mary River turtle belongs to Craig and Gabrielle (expansa1) who brought it from QLD to the AFTCRA stand at the Reptile Expo last weekend, it's the same one that Spike also was photographed with.
BTW Craig has advised that short necks are not more susceptible to fungus that long necks, however those that are under stress will usually be predisposed to it. He also believes that fungus is contagious between turtles although it won't affect all turtles.
Allan

Ah thats interesting to know

it's a great looking turtle isnt it

would have been great to see

How large was it in real life

as the image kinda throws it out

You have hatchies mary rivers dont you

i would love to get some for m collection but due to the regulations i cant in victoria

also mate how are your ELN hatchies doing which kind of incubator did u use as im in the market for a new one to replace my old bellsouth 100

That turtle was about 30cm scl.

Yes I have 2 Mary River hatchies I bought off Craig and Gabrielle, they are doing well, there's been no issues with them at all.

The ELN hatchies are going well too, I have 4 in the same tank as the Mary River hatchlings. One of them was a bit weak at first, slow to start eating and needed a little extra care, so he's a bit smaller than the others.

I used a Hova Bator incubator, it did the job well.

Allan

When mine had a bacterial dermatitis the vet gave me chlorhexidine. I've heard from a few people now that it treats a few shell problems, not sure if its what you need though.

also remember to dry dock the turts with fungus

Yes, of course, they are dry docked. One is also being treated for scratches on the plastron, which is going a little pink around the edges. I bought some Betadine ointment today, previously have been using it in liquid form, not sure yet which is better.
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back