Fused tongues in GTPs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will email Rico Walder and other overseas GTP breeders to see if they experienced the same. Considering that there is evidence of at least one case from non-native GTPs (the one advertised) and quite a few more unreported, I doubt it would be intrinsic to Aussie natives.
You logic Tristan is spot on and it's also possible that out artificial incubation methods aren't 100%. Just because we have 100% hatch rate, doesn't mean that everything is OK. It would really help if more people would "come out" and report such events instead of worrying about reputation.

me to!!!!!!!!!!

Me three!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't mind adopting a hatchy with a fused tongue if the alternative for it was death and it would otherwise live a normal, healthy life.

Michael, even if the chances are that it isn't genetic, would you still say it's okay to breed an animal with this trait?

Michael, even if the chances are that it isn't genetic, would you still say it's okay to breed an animal with this trait?

I'm not Michael but i'll answer anyway. If it isn't genetic then there is absolutely nothing wrong with breeding these animals. It is the genetic information so to speak that gets passed on to the next generation. The phenotype or 'look' of the parents in some cases has nothing to do with the genotype or this 'information' that they will pass on to their young.

Just like a perfectly healthy dog that loses his leg getting hit by a car. He may be a tripod now but his genetic information is still that of a perfectly healthy dog and so when he one day wooh's a female perfectly healthy dog they can be expected to both pass on their perfectly healthy genetic information and in turn have perfectly healthy puppies.

Last edited:
I recently saw a YouTube video of a guy explaining snake breeding and he mentioned that when the incubation period is below 31 and x a percentage all egs hatch female and if it's above 31 and x they are all male and if it's below 31 and x you can get deformed off spring, such as kinks in their spine etc....I don't think it was au pyth

Is the fused tongue very noticeable? I mean in real life when you are looking at the snake do you notice it much when it's tongue flicks in and out......I keep looking at the pics and the tongues do look strange. I know it is only a cosmetic thing I just ask out of interest.......because the still photos.....I'm finding them a bit disconcerting to look at

Elizabeth

Yes, it is disconcerting to look it Elizabeth, because it's abnormal.
When the snakes are resting, you wouldn't know but when they flick their tongues, it looks a bit strange, sometimes the tip of the tongue stays out of the mouth between the flicks but when the excitement is over, it goes back into the mouth fully.

These snakes are now being advertised in the FOR SALE section at bargain price.

Someone emailed me with this peculiar question: "what else is wrong with them, selling themso cheap".
I am asking fair price for 100% perfect snakes and anything less than 100% is cheaper. I hope it makes sense.

I would happily buy a snake with a fused tongue as it doesn't seem to have any negative impact on the snakes life. That is a great price I just wish I had my class 2 licence.

Someone emailed me with this peculiar question: "what else is wrong with them, selling themso cheap".
I am asking fair price for 100% perfect snakes and anything less than 100% is cheaper. I hope it makes sense.
just letting you know that wasnt an email from me.... :)

Wouldnt it be if you had a hatchie with a fused deformed tounge no fork and then that snake was to grow and then breed would there not be a big change there offspring may have the same deformaty and how would this effect the snake

Wouldnt it be if you had a hatchie with a fused deformed tounge no fork and then that snake was to grow and then breed would there not be a big change there offspring may have the same deformaty and how would this effect the snake

If you read this whole thread, you'll get the idea.

----- they are sold now -----

Last edited:
I would be interested to see if any had half fused tongues etc. I would think that if this was an incubation thing then some of them would have a chance of being more or less severly affected than other, so some might have tongues that were fully fused with no grove, back to others having only a little fusing of the tongue, or the tongue being fused but having a little split at the end or all kinds of degrees. If it were genetic that would explain it always fusing to the same extent.

is it kinda weird that i like the look of them? haha, really interesting thread though

hell if any of you GTP guys want to off one, off it this way, nothing wrong with it,
one of the "most beautiful people ever" had 6 toes, but everyone still loves marilyn monroe!

Nato

my opinion is based on wild opinion based on instinct,
to me the fused tongue may, be a temp issue or something egg based, something happened or didn't happen just right, 1 or 1 c to high or low for 1 day i dunno maybe they are french and prefer their tongues long and dexterous :p
thanks for bringing it up Michael nice thread :)

Also have had another good think about this would it be inferior? Still no.

But honestly, If I had a choice between two exactly same looking, same age Gtps, colour etc, one with a fused tongue and one without and same price, personally the one with the normal tongue every time. Even if it was proven to be non hereditary.

Also have had another good think about this would it be inferior? Still no.

But honestly, If I had a choice between two exactly same looking, same age Gtps, colour etc, one with a fused tongue and one without and same price, personally the one with the normal tongue every time. Even if it was proven to be non hereditary.

That's why I didn't offer them for the same price as the faultless ones. They are still good , healthy snakes and personally, I wouldn't hesitate to breed from them.

I spoke to a friend of mine today who breeds GTPs every year and I also got some info from a couple of US breeders. Tongue deformities are not rare at all. I wish people would come out with this kind of information more freely, it would help all - breeders and buyers to understand that it is a reasonably common occurrence. There shouldn't be any stigma attached to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back