gallery troubles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkie

Reaction score
I'm having trouble uploading pix to my album.
I have scanned them and they are in .bmp format.
How do I change the format so that they can be put in the album?
Thanx

paint

You could open them in Paint and then save them as a .JPG image

Speaking of gallery troubles, is there any way to get rid of all the empty albums that are hanging around?

I noticed them too Nicole... I'm assuming it will take a moderator of the Galleries to delete them. SJ would probably be your man!

P.S - SJ, have you had your exams yet? If so, how'd you go?

The best way to get rid of those empty galleries would be for them to be filled with decent photos of reptiles and the enclosures. :D

When I first tried loaded my gallery I also had the same problems.
I'm not sure if yours is different but In paint on my computer the only option to save is Bmp.
So what I did is I had to copy them from paint and paste them in another program, I used Adobe photoshop. Then to save as a jpg file it needed to be saved under "save as a webpage' or 'save as a copy'
I'm not sure what programs you have or what you could use but thats how I did mine.
I wasnt sure what to do for a while but Its good if you can find a friend who is really into computers. I had a cd burner on my computer for 7 months but I didnt know how to use it untill I got a friend to come over and teach me
. . . I'm not to flash with computers :oops:
Good luck with the gallery!

I have also got major gallery problems in that I cannot upload to the gallery (comes up with a can't finds modules.php error). I think that from the large number of extra empty files I am not the only person (and no its not the mac and I didn't add 400 extra gallery files). Has everyone else managed to upload recently with no problems?

Cheers Hawkeye

Hi Hawkeye,
In the interim while SJ fixes your problem, why not email pics to one of us and we'll upload for you? I guess I've got my hand up if you are keen to try that... [email protected]
:)

You can save bitmap images to jpeg format by typing .jpeg after the files name :D
EG:a bitmap image named John You save as John.jpeg

Everytime I try to upload pics it freezes then crashes my comp.
grrrrrr :evil:

Bitmaps

Hi CC. Sorry sport, but I think you might be mistaken there. Renaming the file doesn't change the native format of the picture - it will still be a bitmap file.

You can probably still open it after renaming, as your programs associated with .JPG and .BMP will still recognise the correct format.

A .JPG file is a compressed format file.

Try this : Create a picture in Paint as a .BMP file and save it. Check properties on it to see the size. Then re-open the same file in Paint, but Save As a .jpg file. Check the properties, and you'll see that it is a hell of a lot smaller!

In any case, converting it properly to a .jpg file will reduce the upload time.

You got me curious, so I did what you suggested (change the suffix to .JPG from .BMP) and tried uploading to the gallery - it results in an invalid format error, so I guess the site software is smart enough to see through your trick! :eek: :eek:

Hope that helps someone! :lol:

CC, I doubt it's the site software that's crashing your computer! What are you running (operating system and version)? If you trust me enough to give me your logon and password, email me the picture you're trying to upload ([email protected]) I'll try it from here for you if you like. That way we'll at least know if it's the picture, your computer or the site software that's causing the problem.

What I meant is you open the bitmap up in paint and save it as John.jpeg and it changes to jpeg image so long as you type .jpeg after the filename.I do this on my old computer because I dont get the option to save as jpeg image i can only save as bitmap in monochrome-256bit color-16bit color-24bit.

Dave I run winblows xp pro. I might try turning off my firewall then trying perhaps that might be the reason why!

heh! Sorry for the misunderstanding, CC. :eek: Gotcha! I misunderstood - I'm doing that a lot lately!

As for the firewall, I doubt if that's the problem, unless there a problem with the software (I assume it's a software firewall). I would think it's using HTTP for the file transfer, so that shouldn't be a problem with any firewall. I run a hardware firewall, and I have nearly every port closed (I'm paranoid) except those I really need.

What firewall software are you using? In any case, temporarily disabling it sounds like a good plan to me. If that fails, the original offer still stands - or just email me the picture and I'll try it in my gallery if you like.

Cheers!

P.S. I'm running XP pro too, so I don't think it's anything to do with that, and I'm running XP home on another PC - no problems there either.

Thanx Nic and David.....

I have sent the files to Nic first (sorry about the size Nic) and have given her permission to access my gallery so it'll be interesting if she can send the files to my gallery for viewing.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers Hawkeye

Hi David,
I hope you or somebody out there can help me m8.I turned off firewall and uploaded pics no probs,but the problem is the pic on album cover is blurry.The pic looks fine in the album itself but in the gallery page it dosn't.Would you have any clues?I tryed several photo's highlighted but all seem to have been blurry.

Well, I can't see anything wrong with it. Of course, I don't have my glasses on, so everything looks blurry...... KIDDING!

Ok - seriously, from what I can see, the picture looks like it is at too low a resolution.

Try to use less compression when converting it to a JPG file and upload again.

Your original is only 42K - try saving it to about 150K or higher.

When the system creates the thumbnail, it compresses the original even more, and if it's already compressed heavily, which yours is, the final result will be what you see.

Just my opinion, of course, but that's my best guess.

For some reason, when I try to upload 2 or 3 pics I get a could not find server error, but if I try one pic, it has no worries. :? :? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back