Gas Chamber idea's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It costs a bit, around $130 by the time you pay a deposit on the cylinder. It is $20 for a refill. Mine lasted over a year and that was gassing around 200 odd rats and mice a fortnight. It is a similar sized cylinder to that of a fire extinguisher.

is it true you give them a dose to knock them out then a full burst to kill them? i think i read that they can have a painful death if they are gassed full blast as it burns their lungs perhaps?

junglemad said:
how much do you have to pay? do you own the cylinder or rent it? i have to get one. i am over smashing rats - it is disgusting

I have to agree there, its disgusting. And we hate doing it.

I give mine an initial blast for a few seconds, they slow down and become unconscious, then a few seconds more gas, then leave them for about 10 mins, and check there is no movement - they can come back to life if they get oxygen back in their lungs.

Pinks & fuzzies are very hard to kill in a plastic container - they need very little oxygen to live where they are raised. Very quick if you put them into a plastic bag (airtight), press most of the air out then fill with CO2 & tie off - they die in seconds.

I don't like killing rats though - quite like them really... maybe I'm in the wrong game!

Jamie.

I have homebrew on tap so I have a CO2 bottle handy. I use basically the same method as Hugsta. It can be a pricey altwernative though if you are only killing a few rats/mice and have no other purpose for the gas bottle. An account with BOC will cost $120/yr and for a VT size bottle is $41 - but that bottle will last you 12 months easily. I use an old nappy bucket with a hole drilled in the top. I attach a rubber hose to the bottle and insert the hose in the bucket.

The other alternative which I'm suprised nobody has mentioned is the old car exhaust.

You will need
-Soldering iron
-Clear or Garden hose
-Hot glue gun,Sillicone
-Appropriate sized tub for the chamber
-Large size zip lock bags
-Jug or container

For the c02 recipe you will need:
-White Vinegar
-Bi Carb soda

Choosing the tub
You will need to choose a tub which is of appropriate size for the rodent size/ numbers you need to cull.
You will also need a tub that doesn't have an airtight lid(This is very important) because when the c02 enters the chamber it needs to expel the oxygen, If the lid is airtight this will not happen.
If you can't find a tub that doesn’t have a lid which is not airtight you can make holes yourself with a soldering iron (5-10 small holes should be fine)

Making the chamber
After you are happy with your tub place it on a flat surface where you will be able to use a soldering iron on it to make a hole for the hose.
Make a hole just a little smaller then the thickness of the hose so the hose will be a very snug fit once its is passed through the tub,

After you have passed the hose through the tub (only about 2cm of the hose should be in the tub) use the hot glue gun around where the hose meets the hole so it is air tight.

Making the co2 recipe
3 tablespoons of Bi-carb to 1 Cup (250mls) of vinegar works well for killing about 10 adult mice and 1-2 medium rats.
If you have a bigger tub just use the same ratio (3 tablespoons to 1 cup Vinegar)

Using the chamber
I will do this part in numbered point form to make it easier to follow
(assuming you have the recipe in the zip lock bag and connected to the tub-You will need to tie the top of the zip lock bag off with thread or tape to make it air tight)
1) Place the rodents in the tub
2) Fasten the lid
3) Slowly start pouring the vinegar into the bi carb- Only pour half of the cup over 1 minute
4) Make sure the rodents are “asleep” and then pour the rest of the cup and when it stops fizzing squeeze the bag to dispel the rest of the co2

Now either bag and freeze your mice or feed immediately

I found this on another site, can't remember which one. I haven't made one but sounds good and i'll be making one soon.
Would this setup work for guinea pigs? My guinea pig had 5 babies this morning and they look to be a good size for feeding. (too big for boof, my coastal though).
Anyone interested in a couple of guinea pigs? For food or pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back