Gay Discrimination

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed with you there Jay.

The problem with not telling people if you are gay (and it's not like you announce it to everyone, don't be ridiculous) is that they're going to find out at some point anyway, and there can be some pretty strong adverse reactions to that. Unfortunately it's just the world we live in

why do people have to actively tell you there gay (come out) i dont feel the need to tell people i like females

Because unlike annoucing that you are "straight", "coming out" can have some serious negative effects on your life. Now imagine that you have a secret that you know may alienate you from those you care about, including your parents, siblings, etc. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who does not know if the secret they keep will make their family, in the blink of an eye, cast them out like rubbish. Do you grasp how difficult life would be for someone in this situation? It would be intolerable for most to live with that kind of uncertainty.

My auntie says "God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve."

This is, in a nutshell, the source of discrimination against gays. Christianity is not exactly the bastion of tolerance it claims to be.

My best mate was just thrown out of home by his dad for being gay. I think there is still discrimination.

How awful. This is what I mean by the above.

seriously the gay issue is not as bad as it was when i was younger, just look at tv today its the norm.
and look at most the movie stars sooner or latter they come out.
i worked with a gay guy for around 5yrs i was ok with it, i really think religion is the main factor with discrimination of any race.

Correct. It stems from a belief by the faithful (all "faithful" believe this in one form or another, in any religion.) that they are God's "Chosen". It is this mechanism that allows one person or culture to marginalise another, by placing the "non-faithful" in a position that, in the eyes of the "faithful", renders them unfit or unworthy of even basic human consideration. This is what allowed Christian conquerors to subjugate indiginous populations around the world, cultures throughout history to keep other human beings as slaves, and countless other atrocities throughout human history. In their "God's" eyes, they were doing nothing wrong. To the "faithful" of the current zeitgeist, this includes demonizing homosexuals.

Last edited:
This is, in a nutshell, the source of discrimination against gays. Christianity is not exactly the bastion of tolerance it claims to be.

Very true, me and my Christian friends hate they way gays are treated by ignorant church people. Most of them don't personally know any people who are gay, and because of that they don't think of how these people feel. I firmly believe that putting yourself in other people's shoes is something that needs to be done more often, there are far too many selfish people who will only think of things from their perspective. I have a family member who may be gay, he's not sure yet, but anyone who gives him crap will wish they never opened their ignorant little mouth! Since when is it anyone else's business who somebody sleeps with? Its time people learned to keep their noses out of other people's personal lives. I don't personally know anyone who has been kicked out of home because they're gay, but I believe that people who throw their own child out for that reason don't deserve to be parents anyway!

I think it is very easy to become complacant in thinking everything is better now. It is the norm for gay people to be accepted and this is great but there are still alot of individuals who go through almost literal hell when they come out. The problem is, it takes only a single person to turn a coming out experience into a hellish battle of self worth and dignity. The suicide rates for homoseuxal youths is still much much higher than for heterosexuals.

There is also another problem and that is non-real discrimination which is the building up of ideas in a persons head that if they came out they would be discriminated against. Although less easy to measure this problem is equally bad for the individual, and it is common place for a comming out experience to be an anti-climax when people are easy going with it.

I dont know what the answer to the problem is, because we are talking about a small number of people who have retained built in old school opinions that would be very difficult to change. The only realistic solution i could propose is education. I think many of the problems in Australia will decrease as people become more accepting of homosexuality but unfortunatly I think it is unlikely that predjudices will be whiped out.

"I refuse to recognize the terms hetero-, bi-, and homo-sexual. Everybody has exactly the same sexual needs. People are just sexual, the prefix is immaterial." (Steven Patrick Morrissey:The Smiths)
While I am 100% straight,I drink beer,shoot guns and have driven some really cool cars,I have a gay sister,and also gay male friends.I have not caught the gay 'disease' even for a second,one male friend is even HIV positive.None of them have ever asked me on a date or invited me to watch after dark.The ignorant will, through their frustration and fear, criticize people, sometimes in the most hateful terms in an attempt to feel better about the void that they can never fill within themselves.People seemed to be stuck in a judgement loop that dates back 1,000 of years.

You should look at the legal age for same sex sex as well and compare that to the legal hetrosexual sex age.

Even making a comparison to other cultures and countries where gays are completely accepted would be good and looking at the laws their.

They are both the same, have been for a few years

My auntie says "God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve."

Yeah well that doesn't say much considering how many "god fearing" people have started crusades and executions, and the death toll that has happened as a result.

And my depression that left instantly the moment I walked away from the church, religion promotes love yet it had also caused the most death of any single man made reason.

I have never knowingly been descriminated against for being gay, but I live in Sydney city, I couldn't say the same if I lived in the country. I personally disagree to gay marriage, as per the dictionary it's between a man and a woman, civil unions etc no problems against.

I also wouldn't bring a child into a gay relationship, but appose no one that wants to in a loving and supporting relationship.

Last edited:
Look at transgender issues.
Whilst some may say that homosexuality is much more accepted to day (which I agree with, to an extent),
I don't believe transgender issues have progressed much..

seriously the gay issue is not as bad as it was when i was younger, just look at tv today its the norm.
So because the issue is not as bad as when you were younger we should all become complacent and not fight for equal rights?

How would you feel if you were in a loving relationship for years, your partner is terminally ill and the hospital is only allowing immediate family in to see them?? This happened to a friend and he had to lie and say he was the sick persons brother!

Imagine then that your partner died, then you were not entitled to their superannuation......... or other effects? Is this right?!?!?!

why do people have to actively tell you there gay (come out) i dont feel the need to tell people i like females

Why do people feel the need to tell me i am gay??? Trust me, i had heard it from colleagues, fellow students, strangers, idiots in the street driving past in their car throwing bottles out the window at me! BEOFRE I PLUCKED UP THE COURAGE TO TELL ANY OF MY FAMILY, I HAD BEEN TOLD I WAS GAY THOUSANDS OF TIMES. In a demeaning, discriminatory or violent way.

they dont know it but most of the time we already know they are gay anyway (its not that hard to tell!!)

For those of you who think it is all a joke, or that gays are equal, or that we don't still face issues in life because of arrogant small minded people, take a look at this.

Please, watch it all the way through!

YouTube - Joel Burns tells gay teens "it gets better" http://www.joelburns.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Well not every Christian religion has gone to war e.g. Jehovahs Witnesses. Being gay isn't a natural thing, that's why we have the different sexual organs to each other, but it is a personal opinion whether or not being gay is right. It is also someones personal choice to be gay and we shouldn't judge people for that

Well not every Christian religion has gone to war e.g. Jehovahs Witnesses. Being gay isn't a natural thing, that's why we have the different sexual organs to each other, but it is a personal opinion whether or not being gay is right. It is also someones personal choice to be gay and we shouldn't judge people for that

I was bought up a Jehovah's Witness. And yes, they are one of the few religions who do not involve themselves in politics and war. But it is still not acceptable to be gay, but in saying that, they do not incite hatred or violence towards them.

BEING GAY IS NOT A CHOICE! Being a homphobe is!

Why would someone choose to live the hard life? Being gay is not a choice, why would i have chosen to be gay? Please tell me this?

Please also watch this video.

YouTube - When Did You Choose to Be Straight?

Mathew I think you are a little bit young to understand this problem, if you want to continue in the discussion I think you should get your parents approval and advice.

So because the issue is not as bad as when you were younger we should all become complacent and not fight for equal rights?

How would you feel if you were in a loving relationship for years, your partner is terminally ill and the hospital is only allowing immediate family in to see them?? This happened to a friend and he had to lie and say he was the sick persons brother!

Imagine then that your partner died, then you were not entitled to their superannuation......... or other effects? Is this right?!?!?!

Why do people feel the need to tell me i am gay??? Trust me, i had heard it from colleagues, fellow students, strangers, idiots in the street driving past in their car throwing bottles out the window at me! BEOFRE I PLUCKED UP THE COURAGE TO TELL ANY OF MY FAMILY, I HAD BEEN TOLD I WAS GAY THOUSANDS OF TIMES. In a demeaning, discriminatory or violent way.

What a great joke. Perfect way to trivialise the issue here.

For those of you who think it is all a joke, or that gays are equal, or that we don't still face issues in life because of arrogant small minded people, take a look at this.

Please, watch it all the way through!

YouTube - Joel Burns tells gay teens "it gets better" http://www.joelburns.com

sorry to make a joke out of it but my ex wife is gay now so i cant help my self to treat it as a joke and by putting the shoe on the other foot her relationship is not treated as one by the government so my child support payments stay the same ( and im not the only one out there with this problem trust me!).
and if you are truely gay im sure just like my gay friend you joke about the same issues and tell even sicker gay jokes to your friends
i also have coloured friends who tell the best coloured jokes
(so is it because im not gay that this is a issue?)

Last edited:

No, that's known as the naturalistic fallacy.

"It is demonstrable," said he, "that things cannot be otherwise than they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end. Observe, for instance, the nose is formed for spectacles; therefore we wear spectacles. The legs are visibly designed for stockings; accordingly we wear stockings. Stones were made to be hewn and to construct castles; therefore my lord has a magnificent castle; for the greatest baron in the province ought to be the best lodged. Swine were intended to be eaten; therefore we eat pork all year round. And they who assert that everything is right, do not express themselves correctly; they should say that everything is best." ~ Voltaire

Obviously, the above is satirical.

Last edited:
Making a joke out of it may not be a huge issue, the issue is via the internet your joke may be taken out of context by some. I am very comfortable in myself and jokes like this do not affect me mentally anymore. But for a young gay person, or someone who is not comfortable in themselves could read your comment and this could offend them or hurt them. That is the issue.

I do feel for you that your wife left you. My second cousin got married, had kids, always knew he was gay. One day he could not continue living the lie and left his wife. This is caused by unacceptance! Your wife, my cousin etc etc.... they got married and lived the normal life becuase it was expected of them.. It is awful, but what else could they do. Yes it is kinda selfish on their part,but surely it is clear how and why it happened?

I am pleased to say that my cousin and his ex wife and kids are the best of friends, luckily at the end of the day it is a happy ending for them. I understand it is not the same for most. If there is equality and acceptance then these kind of stories would not exist, or to a lesser extent. As gay people wouldn't feel forced to marry and have kids to please society.

My best mate was just thrown out of home by his dad for being gay. I think there is still discrimination.

LOL my dad told me when I was really young that if I was gay, he'd disown me!

They are both the same, have been for a few years.

Are you sure? I though legal age of consent for.... The backdoor.... Was 18, and regular consentual sex is 16.

Last edited:
LOL my dad told me when I was really young that if I was gay, he'd disown me!

.. And people wonder why I'm so misanthropic. It seems most people I come across are homophobic to varying degrees, it's utterly insane. Since my parents have known I'm trans, they don't really want anything to do with me. But hey, I think anyone with an attitude like that isn't worth knowing.

Not to mention there's still a deeply pervasive and subversive form of misogyny still around.

kawasaki, technically that is correct, but there is a difference between that and a legal age for same sex sexual relations.

The whole thrown out of home thing is what I'm worried about... all my friends know, and I was pleased that I never copped any flak for it at school, but my family is fairly religious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back