Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardsandme

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help id this little fella. He was recently seen at a work place close to Newcastle, NSW. He is the smallest I have ever seen a gecko, I'm talking about 2cm from snout to tail. I have leaf tails and know people with thick tails etc and this ones toes are different.

Attachments

• Gecko to id 09.JPG
    Gecko to id 09.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 109
Looks like a Gehyra species. Probably Gehyra dubia/ Dubious Dtella Gecko.

Thans for the quick replies. Yes it does seem like the tail is missing the end, will that grow back?

That looks like a hatchling southern marbled gecko(Cristinus marmoratus) its tail will grow back with a slightly different pattern(I've been keeping them for a while now.) though they get a bit lighter when they get older also it doesnt quite have enough colour on its tail.:D:D

That is a Juvenile Hemidactylus frenatus, Asian House Gecko....send it straight to the Museum or DEC office urgently..these are an invasive species.

While its great for people to Guess ID's, its more important to get them right especially in this case

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Wow thanks for everyone’s suggestions, mind you I am concerned with the last one saying it is a Juvenile Asian house gecko. Does anyone know of a distinguishing id or marking so I can rule out the house gecko? Its just I have dealt with DECC on a few occasions and no offence but they have no idea when it comes to identify lizards. I would hate to think it was put down for no reason. Can anyone tell me what size the hatchlings are for the Asian House Gecko, Southern Marbled Gecko and the Dubious Dtella? I think I have removed the Bynoes gecko from list, as its feet seem to be different to this one.

Thanks again everyone. Your help is appreciated.

Yes, an AHG ( look at the rows of spinose tubercles forming rings around the original part of the tail), they will turn up out of there usual haunts (northern Australia) from time to time, esp around shipping ports. I have heard they are around some Naval ports in Sydney as well, and know of people who have released them in their Sydney residence to keep bugs down ect.. but so far they really don't do too well and have failed to thrive, most probably due to Sydneys climate, though some will no doubtly find a suitable micro habitat and kick on for a bit.

Hemidactylus...differ from Gehyra by the feet

Differ from Christinus by the foot under surface

also neither Gehyra and Hemidactylus have tubercules on the tail, seriously you need to take to DEC as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back