Gecko ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levis

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was wondering if you could help me with this one? I live on the Gold coast near the QLD, NSW border. Looks just like a Northern Dtella. But my field guide says they do not live here, which confused me:rolleyes:?? Do they??

Thanks on advance
-M
IMG_3600.jpg

That's an Asian House Gecko. The knobbly bits on the tail are a dead give-away. Unfortunately they're introduced.

Thanks for your help guy,
I dont think i would be able to kill it, as they live out of my reach under the roof.

Wow, I wouldn't have thought it was an Asian House Gecko, I thought they were mostly of darker brown morph. I will be looking more closely for the spiny tail now though!

Does anyone know if there is another species of gecko that is common in households in North Qld (Tville) that looks similar? I always thought I had two different species lurking around.

narr mate not allowed as it was said above they are introduced so therefore are a pest pretty sure they are the most invasive reptile in the world ay...

no need to kill them, as far as i know they do not pose a threat to our native wildlife, they are pretty much restricted to human buildings.

I found one of the guys I was talking about. Not too sure what it is, looks to me like a Dtella - Gehyra australis, but my guide doesn't say they are found in this region (Townsville, NQLD). Any ideas?

Gecko.jpg

They may be a pest but you can keep cats, rats and kangaroos which are all considered pests why wouldn't you be able to keep a house gecko?

agreed danny, ive also heard that QLD'ers can keep cane toads, whats up with that

from memory these are actually not a "pest" species, as the pose no threat to anything, just like trout

agreed danny, ive also heard that QLD'ers can keep cane toads, whats up with that

from memory these are actually not a "pest" species, as the pose no threat to anything, just like trout

Don't Trout munch on all the smaller native fish??
We'd be better off without any non-natives, wether there considered invasive or not.

I found one of the guys I was talking about. Not too sure what it is, looks to me like a Dtella - Gehyra australis, but my guide doesn't say they are found in this region (Townsville, NQLD). Any ideas?

View attachment 177777

Could be a AHG. The tail looks like its a regrowth, which don't have the tubercles on them if it is a AHG. The sub-digital lamellae (pads on the underside of the toes) will tell you what genus it is. Have a look in Wilson and Swan, it has diagrams showing the difference.

Could be a AHG. The tail looks like its a regrowth, which don't have the tubercles on them if it is a AHG. The sub-digital lamellae (pads on the underside of the toes) will tell you what genus it is. Have a look in Wilson and Swan, it has diagrams showing the difference.

Yeah I Wilson and Swan is what I used in the first place to try to find out. I guess it could be an AHG, the regrowth tail does make it kind of difficult. It just seems like it was a bit larger than all the other AHG's I have seen, I guess I just don't want to believe it :( Haha.

if your a framer then kangaroos would be a pest... but i wouldnt call them a pest, good point with the cats etc :)

100% not an Asian House Gecko. Some species of Gehyra.

View attachment 177777

Yeah I agree, it does look like a Geyhra, most likely G.dubia.
The easiest way to distinguish Dtellas from AHG is the fact AHG have claws on all toes but Dtellas do not have a claw on their inside toe
If you can get a clear picture of the underside showing the subdigital lamellae I can try and ID it correctly for you

Oh and btw, in NSW we can legally keep and breed AHG's under a basic reptile license as long as they are acquired legally

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back