Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetangel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a few different reptiles at the moment and have taken an interest in geckos which i have never kept before.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on what geckos would be good to keep as a first gecko and how much they cost??

what size enclosures they would need??

and what other requirements are needed to keep them, food, housing and whether they need to climb??

pictures of setups and the actual geckos would be great;)

any info at all would be great

Thanks everyone

well thats the thing i dont know what ones i can keep and what ones are out there.... i literally know nothing about geckos which is why i'm trying to find some info.

so any info on good breeds for first timers would be good:)

Well for my first gecko i got thick tailed geckos.I for some reason have a liking to them, but one of my friends got Northern Spiny Tailed Geckos for his first reptile, i have seen them my self love them, though not as nice colours as the thickies i have-he has the plain grey coloured spiny's, but i am looking for some in the future-well back to the point they are pretty hardy, meaning-his you can hold without any "disruption" if you would like to say that, but what would you like in you gecko??

Well with his spiny tailed geckos, you can handle them alot, there happy just to walk around on your hand plus it feels really cool when they are on you!You can get them with yellows, reds, greys, blacks if your really lucky light blue, you just got to find the right person selling them, his mate has 2 with yellows in them! although i havn't seen them yet, they sound really cool looking.

what about golden tail geckos... i think thats what they are called, the ones that are spotty grey and have yellow down the top of their tail??

or i like the look of the ringtail gecko.... how are they?

geckos

as you are new to keeping geckos i would go for something like thick tailed geckos (u. millii) iv got one whos about 1 1/2 years old and dose not mind to being handled i will say tho as with all reptiles the younger thay are when you get them the more likely thay are to tame donw i got mine at 6mounths old last november and mine will acceped food out of my hannd but only in low light . but with any geckos you have to know thay can drop there tails when handled roughtly there tails will grow back but not as good looking as the oridginal tail . babys usilly addujest to handling reasnbilly quickly thay will let you know when thay don<t want to be handled be arching there backs and making a loud barking sound .ii just handled mine in a quiet place with low light at first and as thay got more uest to being handled then i toook them out in normal light. my thick tailed geckos have never lost there tailes or backed at me and thay will even come out during the day some times

G'day.

Nephrurus levis levis (knob tail gecko) are great starting geckos. Ive started off with them and they are a piece of cake to keep. Small enclosure with a few hides and deep sand for them to dig and mist every couple of days. There around $150 for hatchlings.
heres my pair.

female
P6010650.jpg

Male
P6290757.jpg

Cheers, Jake

Repz, those terracotta dishes are exactly what i use lol.
Levis Levis are great gex, but they are nocturnal and also shouldn't be handled a lot. I never handle mine. I paid $500 for a trio of sub adults

Jen. I use to have them in hides from the petshop but they were a little chat and didnt hold the heat.
so i got terracotta and works good :D

I would suggest Marbled Geckos.They grow to about 15cm in length and they usually cost about 15-50 dollars.They're easy to take care of, although they do need something to climb on.You can keep 2 in a 20 gallon tank. Of course, they need a heat lamp or heat mat and practically everything you need to keep a snake.And feed them crickets, meal worms and woodies.

Regards,
Snakebuster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back