Gecko longevity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This question came up in relation to Herp Trader add: 507-506 (Golden Tail Gecko (Strophurus taenicauda) hatchlings).

How long do geckos live in captivity. The assumption was that some only live a couple of years.

Books such as Cogger and the various field guides were consulted but longevity just does not come into it.

What are the shortest lived geckos and what are the longest lived?

How long do they live?

I don't know much about the longevity of geckos over here, But the NZ green geckos live for quite a long time. My family had one for 17 years and if I can remember correctly I think we got it of a person who had it for 8.

"Carnt say PP, however we received a Nephrurus levis that came to us via a mate who'ed kept the old fella three years......he had purchased it from a keeper in the NT. It was an old animal when he got it.....I felt he would'nt last that long, but we had him for a futher five years.......he looked and behaved as a old man..... :D "

I have a thick tailed gecko That is 13 years old and last season has helped produce offspring, its like most reptile know one really knows how long they will live for

Most of the geckoes at work are over 12 years old, including very small species

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back