Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellie

Reaction score
Hey guys and galls,

I've had a bit of a look around at prices for knobtails and they're all in the hundred+ sorta area, and I was just curious to know if they'll get much cheaper when hatching season comes around?
I'm a bit low in the funds department at the moment, so just wanted to know if they (or any gecko really) get much cheaper, or just stay around that price range?

Thanks!

but no, they wont drop much when the season progresses, levis levis are usually about $150 each and upwards....

cheapest are the simple levis which are usually around $150 during season and not.
as mrs l mentioned thicktails are usually around $90 but there not technically knob tails anymore

I dig it. So what would be the 'cheapest' gecko? I'm just trying to plan out how I'm spending my money. I've got my heart set on knobtails though:D

Actually, Shonfield, scientifically, Thick-tails (aswell as the Granite Belt Thick-tailed) are now properly listed under the Nephrurus genus. Whilst, like you probably meant, they are lacking the obvious.

I can see the market prices for Nephrurus levis, pilbarensis, occidentalis dropping this season depending on specific details. It won't be long before a common levis levis will only fetch $100-$120 in my opinion.

well you shut me up :)
cheapest of all geckos would be maybe a lesueurs velvet (got my 2 females and a male for $40 each at 3months old). not so sure on others but there would be a few similar to that price.
do a search and you will find a thread saying all the cheap geckos.
and i can also agree with rockets point that levis prices will drop to $100 soon because so many more people are breeding them these days than a few years ago.

Cheapest would be marbled
I hope the others come down in price too so i can add more to my collection - i paid $230 ea for my knobbies

Didn't mean to shut you up Shonfield. As far as I was told by a few people, the SA Museum originally discovered and put down enough evidence as to suggest there is enough similarities amongst the Thick-tailed group and Knob-tailed group to put them all down as 'Nephrurus'.

Not only after that, they split what was Underwoodisaurus milii (now Nephrurus milii) into two separate species. The animals local to the western part of the range remained as Nephrurus milii where the eastern (and southern) were changed to Nephrurus husbandi (after Grant Husband?). I was told these changes are official but are yet to see a substantial amount of people to abide by these name changes. I still see most people referring them always to Underwoodisaurus.

If I'm wrong and somebody with a better understanding of the situation can shed any light, please do so.

The price of some levis and milii will go down in the next few years, and others will go up, as some breeders work on selective breeding of different morphs. As for the genus name change, well thats been going back and forth for some time, though I think the species split is a bit keen, where is the magical line drawn to divide the species?? Of course east coast milii will have different DNA from WA ones, but they will happily breed together and produce fertile offspring, maybe a sub species, but a new species???

Jason, thats what I thought aswell, wheres the need for a new species based on genetic variation amongst localities over a large range? Obviously, Barking Geckos occuring in a more arid and central position would adapt better to higher temperatures to that of a southern or coastal animal. How is that cause for a new species? Why not just split them into subspecies' like they have with other species that are in isolated positions yet are visually identicle but obvious pattern differences etc; like Nephrurus levis, Nephrurus wheeleri etc?

It puzzles me too.. but hey, i'm no scientific genius.

Last edited:
Next time someone posts some pics up, I'm going to start a 10 page fight by telling them it looks like a intergrade ;).... but gecko people don't get as upset as morelia fans, so probably won't happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back