Gecko Twins

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spongebob

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I looked in the incubator this morning to discover an Oedura coggeri had hatched. There was only one egg in this tub as the other had failed early on. When I went back later to sort this little fella out there were two! I can't recall having twin Oedura before. Made me wonder though if the other failed egg was empty so to speak?
Bob

Attachments

• cogs.jpg
    cogs.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 254
wow, i'd love that to happen, so cute btw. whats there common name?

i have never incubated and raised herps before..
but is it possible to have 2 in the 1 egg?

i have never incubated and raised herps before..
but is it possible to have 2 in the 1 egg?

It does happen but not very often , but have seen a few pics of 2 snakes coming out of the one egg , the owners get excited thinking its a 2 headed but then see the 2 bodys. :D

Northern "Spotted" Velvet gecko
thanks, im looking at getting into geckos, but i dont want any bad tempered ones. i used to have leafies, but all the did was stand up high and hiss at me. any good geckos? looking for purply-or the goldy yelllow western knob tails.

Twins in snake eggs are fairly common, and I've experienced it before with dragons and Nephrurus species, but not in the velvet geckos.

Bonus baby, lucky you:) one of my femle beardies produced 4 sets of twins in her 1st clutch & 2 sets in the 2nd clutch.

Bonus baby, lucky you:) one of my femle beardies produced 4 sets of twins in her 1st clutch & 2 sets in the 2nd clutch.

Not really as one egg of the clutch pair failed early on.

Perhaps both embryos got encapsulated in the one egg and the failed one was empty? So not true twins pehaps. Wish I had opened the failed egg now.

Well done Bob! :D must have been a shock, Are you going to hold on to them and see if they produce twins?

In 1995 I incubated a large clutch of coastal carpet eggs. In this was three sets of twins and one hatchie had one body, two necks and two functional heads! This 'Tasmanian' carpet only lived for six weeks. I still have it preserved in alcohol. Those of you who have had the priveledge of visiting the Herp Shop in Melbourne may see a photo of this animal on BB"s wall. When I can organise it I will post a pic of same!

Well done Bob, I still have never had a full twin hatch out of anything, that I'm aware of anyway. Had a few doubles but they are always joined, I wouldn't know with the beardies as I don't count the eggs anymore.

It was lucky I didn't sort the tub out as soon as I saw it had hatched as I would have throw one away in the eggshell. Perhaps some of us have alreadyt done this? I think I'll check for 'emptiness' of eggshells in future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back