geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mach

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im Thinking Of Getting Some Broard Tailed Geckos But As I Havnt Had These Before Could Someone Please Tell Me What Temps They Like And Are They Hard To Keep.

Thanks In Advance

no he means the broad tailed gecko phyllurus platurus

ahh cool, wasnt aware of them!

*does google search*

theyre a leaf tail yeah? they look nice

saltuarius are the best lookers, the broad tailed are quite unattractive i think

Yes I Do Mean Phyllurus Platurus . Does Anyone Know Their Needs ?

Thanks Again

sorry im new at this . what does pm saz mean ?

send saz(a member of this site) a private message

send her a private meassage.
where abouts are you located?
they like it relatively cool, like most leaf tails (not sure the exact temps) as they come from around the hawkesbury area, NSW. try and include some sandstone rocks in the enclosure as they prefer those. make sure they are very stable though. I havent kept them before but i have heard they are relatively easy to keep.....just dont let it get too warm.
this is just going on what habitat they are located in as i have found many in the bush around where i live.
probably better to get some info off someone who breeds them. geckosdan and saz know a lot
goodluck, ian

sorry, correction..."geckodan". mis spelt it in my last post, lol

They are easily sourced in NSW for cheap-ish prices as many originate from Illegally caught animals and are hatchling produced by them or are illegally collected animals themselves.

However, are relatively cheapfor legal captive breds. As for care, I am unsue. Seems pretty simple from what I have heard.

As has been said they like it cool, about 25-26 degrees. No heating is usually required. They live in crevices so try to provide many tight spaces for them to hide in. They also like to climb so a rock background is ideal. As with most other geckos they feed voraciously on anything that moves. The cage should be misted every 1-2 days.

Bout $100 each plus from what i've seen.
Temps requirements prety well what MrBredli stated. Mine are kept outside 24/7 with no heating at all. Fed twice weekly, bout 10-15 croaches or crickets at a time.
They love tight crevices to crawl and hide in. They are aggreesive feeders and are quite defensive often lifting their tails and spraying those that come to close. They are also a species that will drop their tails when threatened.

If this is your first gecko species i would very much avoid getting this species- not so much because of their needs but because they are easily agitated. If a first timers go for n.l.levi or underwoodisuarus milii.

Substrate: sand/peat bout and inch deep
Uv non essential and neither is heating depending on where you are from.

Thanks Heaps To All For The Info. I Want To Keep Them Indoors , But I Thought They Would Need Heating In Winter As It Gets Cool 17-19 In My House

Yeah those temps shouldn't be a problem at all. I live on the south coast (illawarra) and we have been getting temps around that for a while now. Unless temps drop below say 10deg i wouldn't be overly concerned. But in saying that i'm not aware of how they cope in terms of really low conditions as yet.

thanks once again for your help . i think i will purchase some and give them a go

They do fine in cold conditions, try to keep them under 25 deg. They like cold damp area's, being most common around sandstone boulders around creeks, they also love to live under houses that have alot of brickwork. They will eat fine in the low 20's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back