Genetics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcorey007

Reaction score
Hi all,

This may seem to be a pretty broad question but I'll ask it anyway. Is there any information out there on the genetics of Aussie pythons, like what traits are recessive, dominant and co within our species? Or is this an area that hasn't been highly researched? I have waded through loads of forums here on APS and have not found any answers. And just to clarify this is not to crossbreed\hybridise. I am just interested in the genetics.

Cheers,

Corey.

I'm not sure that the information is documented in any one place (like a book), but I presume that info is shared around by word of mouth.

The amelanistic strain of Darwins and Olives appears to be autosomal recessive.

:p

Hix

I was hoping to draw on the wealth of knowledge on this site. I'm certain there are a number of people in the aussie herp community that know of some traits in their selected 'favorite' breed of snakes. It doesn't matter to me if nobody knows all for all breeds. I am happy with little bits and pieces from many sources that I can be put together. I'm not going to write a book or anything, but maybe it's something that could be documented in the future. At the end of this discussion maybe we can put a post on this forum with a list that everyone who wants could draw on for future reference.

Genetics amaze me. There is so little we know about them and so much to learn. I would also love to eventually see a cost effective DNA test that could once and for all stop that pesky debate about pure breeds and 'mongrels'. A lineage test would be a wonderful thing. It may happen in our time, but then again maybe I'm a wishful thinker.

Corey.

You can already do a lineage test with mDNA, but it's only passed from the maternal side so is useless in determining if a snake is mongrel or pure breed. Most traits out there are polygenetic and not as simple as most people like to make out.

Others are more clear cut like the albino trait in olives and darwins, while the Jag trait is codominant.

I would also love to eventually see a cost effective DNA test that could once and for all stop that pesky debate about pure breeds and 'mongrels'.

It has supposedly been done, but not yet published (which is about as effective as not having been done). That's something I would definitely like seen done (again if necessary). Also genetic work on the Asian House Gecko, comparing the Australian ones to the Asian ones (and those in Africa, other Pacific Islands, and the USA).

:p

Hix

It seems to me to be the right time for a up and coming uni grad to explore this topic. And get some genetic material from some wild localities to begin a data base.

From what I've read, the only well-understood genetic trait in Aussie pythons is the simple autosomal recessive transmission of tyrosinase-negative albinism. Some of the US corn snake breeders explore the genetics of some of their colour morphs, but this is not clear for Aussie pythons. Has anyone looked into genetics of hyper-melanistic tiger snakes? There are genetic fingerprinting projects for general biodiversity monitoring in the USA. I believe they use mitochondrial DNA so, as junglepython2 says, transmission is maternal only and hybrids aren't picked up. You can compare the whole genome with a gross DNA hybridisation, but it's just a measure of overall similarity. You could do the same with immunoglobins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back