Getting ready for a homecoming, what do I need?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DHoffmann

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I've just placed a deposit on a beautiful Jungle hatchling, and now I need to make sure that I will have everything ready for the arrival.

A 'click-clack' tub has been supplied and is large enough for quite a while, so that's of no issue. I will be using paper towels and newspaper for substrate, this seems to be universally used and easy to clean. Water bowl will be something bottom heavy, haven't got anything just yet but that's not of immediate concern. Hides will consist of small cardboard boxes or toilet/paper towel rolls, these again seem popular with a lot of what I've seen here.

What I need are a heat pad and thermostat, and a source for food, as far as I can tell. I am of course open to anyone that mentions I need more.

I've found heat pads local to me for sale, there is one that is 4w and 15cmx14cm, would this be enough for quite a while, or would it be a better idea to begin with this or start with a higher wattage/sized pad? (20w+)
I've been recommended both an ATC210 Thermostat and a Habistat - type unknown- and I'm not entirely sure what's best. Any preferences here, anything that will aid in the keeping of temperatures accurately? Also I've just realised I'm not sure where the thermometer for measuring the temperatures should go once everything has been installed, in contact with the heatpad or through a hole into the enclosure to measure either the ambient temp or contact plastic temp?

After being told a few horror stories about shop foods, could anyone recommend local rat breeders in the Bayside area? I'd feel much safer supplying my snake with food that I know the source of.

If there's anything I've missed, massive or not, please don't hesitate to tell me. I have nothing but the best interest in mind for this snake, the last thing I would EVER want to do is bring it home to an unsuitable environment and cause it any kind of harm.

Forgot to ask too, does anyone know of any reputable reptile vets in the bayside/south east suburbs area of Melbourne? Both standard hours and anyone that can be contacted for after hours. Going to hang those details straight on the fridge.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
New snake keeper here, so everything with a grain of salt please!

Regarding the heat mat, I'd go bigger than you think you'll need as you're getting a thermostat as well, depending on where you plan to keep the click clack. I got a little one (10W), on the advice of most folks, and didn't consider that where we're keeping it isn't really in the warmest ambient spot in the house (though it makes the most sense in all other respects), so I've had to go buy a small radiator heater to put nearby, as the small mat just couldn't keep up.

We're using an ECO-TECH "Advanced Reptile Thermostat", and it seems fine. Put the thermo sensor on top of the substrate, basically in the middle of the basking area, is what I was told, and it's working well here. Our hatchy was a bit chilly after the car ride home, and the thermostat basically read his body temp as soon as he went into the hide the first day, so it obviously is giving an accurate reading of the basking area. The alarm on the thermostat even went off until he warmed up a bit. :)

From what I've read, you want to give him several days (a week seems what most say) in his new home without disturbing him, which includes feeding (you may already know that, but just in case), so sourcing food probably isn't that pressing of a concern.

Hope some of that info is useful. :)
Good luck!
-Andrew

Thanks Andrew.
The location I'll be using is the most stable as far as ambient temps go in my place, and I've already started monitoring the room with a cheap thermometer. Low of 19 and high of 23 so far, even with colder Melbourne days. I'm hoping that this means that heating correctly should be quite easy.
I've also read two varying opinions on how the heat pad should be mounted, some say directly under and in contact with the plastic click-clack, and others mention a layer in-between to prevent damaging the plastic, but this would make the heating part more challenging wouldn't it? I've already rescued some styrofoam to raise it all from the wooden surface it would otherwise be on.

What I'm most worried about is still the thermostat, I have no experience with using any form of these before and it seems to be one of the most crucial parts in the setup. Given the temperatures sans heating elements in the room, is it even necessary to keep heating at night? I'm still utterly confused by all the different types of thermostats out there.

I've also read the advice regarding leaving the snake alone at first, and am fully on board with that and despite requiring quite a lot of self control, have already planned to do so. It doesn't hurt to ask about local food breeders as early as possible though, and I'm still hoping there's a reliable one in the Bayside/South East Melbourne area that someone knows of or actually is on these forums?

Well, the heatpad has arrived in the mail and I've chucked it straight in the socket to test out the temps I can get from it. Out of the box, direct contact with stand-in click-clack (19cm x 19cm - too small, I know) it goes straight up to 38/9 degrees, so that's obviously not right. Thin sheet of styrofoam in-between and it's down to 28 degrees, also not quite there. An old wife-beater in between, warm end is sitting beautifully at 32 degrees and cold end at 25.5 degrees. There will be an ever larger temperature range in it's proper click-clack.

Would this be reliable enough to bring the little one home, or should I really wait 'till I've found a proper thermostat that will do the regulating work for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back