Giant Squid Photographed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you would like to read this educational blurb about the reproduction of the giant squid... and then re-iterate how there can be so many if it is 'by chance' that they mate as indicated in this article....

http://www.tonmo.com/science/public/architeuthisreproduction.php

Yet the Japanese scientist belive there to be 200 000 sperm whales, which require around 2000 pounds (maybe 1000kg or thereabouts) of food per day. Therefore, squid must be plentiful??? I guess the whales must eat something else too?

They do not JUST eat giant squid, and it would be foolish to think that's all they consume!

And even if this were true, and then you take into consideration the first article. I would be inclined to think the populations were dwindling...

Still think it's ok to have killed the squid for unknown research?

I have a sugestion... yes a reasonably constructive one. Why don't we create a forum on this site that is specifically for the discussion of ecological and environmental issues etc?

Oh yeah and i forgot to add my abuse of the greenies. "You god damn tree huggers, go snuggle with some poison ivy!"

I have a sugestion... yes a reasonably constructive one. Why don't we create a forum on this site that is specifically for the discussion of ecological and environmental issues etc?

It would still fit under chit chat, but i like the way you're thinking.

I am always very suprised to hear people's comments on ecology and environment from this site - mainly because we all keep reptiles or other animals or both... We share that in common, but our views of this world are very different!

That's what i was thinking, still have it under the chit chat section but give it its own section. Perhaps call it Eco Chat? or Greenie's Gripes? lol but seriously if there is enough people who think it would be a good idea i'll ask the mods if it can be done.

junglist*

There you go again with your usual claim of higher education, yet when it comes down to it you know stuff all every time.

"Climb back into the hole you came from"

Wow, highly educated...... it shows...lol

And your point is?? Sdaj has just said it ever so well, "You only need to twist things if you are attempting to prove something which is incorrect, you'd posess much more experience in this area than I do. I'd much rather admit to being wrong than do that. I'm quite happy to admit to something being fact if it clearly is, even if I am not at all happy about it, and quite often I simply have to do that. I prefer to work towards making the world a better place than give in to irrational emotional responses which hurt the world, despite superficially appearing to be "nice". It's impossible to have a rational conversation with an irrational person,"

As you australis fit the definition or an irrational person, this conversation is over. You have no logical, well reasoned arguments to add to the debate, and can simply say, "ohh you think you're more educated than me, you must be stupid"

When you have constructed a rational argument, complete with evidence and lacking totally in your usual "This is wrong because i think it is so, but i cant back it up with any evidence, so i'll just shout loudly and make myself look like a half wit" arguments, Then you are permitted to talk to me. Until then, take your illogical arguments and half baked dont kill the animals nonsense somewhere else, they might give you the time of day.

junglist*

What are you basing your above rant on? i didnt say "dont kill the animals"

Perhaps you should read all my posts in this thread, i didnt say anything to the tune of saving the Giant Squid....or any other animal for that matter.

I only pointed out that humans had caused animal extinction in Australia well before Europeans settled Australia. I dont have to provide evidence for everything i say..... you sure dont!!!

When you have constructed a rational argument, complete with evidence and lacking totally in your usual "This is wrong because i think it is so, but i cant back it up with any evidence, so i'll just shout loudly and make myself look like a half wit" arguments, Then you are permitted to talk to me. Until then, take your illogical arguments and half baked dont kill the animals nonsense somewhere else, they might give you the time of day.

The above has nothing to do with anything i posted, i didnt mention saving the Squid or any other animals, i wasnt trying to debate that at all, just simply pointing out that not all species extinction in Australia can be blamed on European settlers.

"You only need to twist things if you are attempting to prove something which is incorrect, you'd posess much more experience in this area than I do"

Are you serious? ...lol

What am i trying to twist?

I think you got offended that i mentioned something you had no idea about.

Personally, I think Junglist and Australis (both of whom I think are wonderful contributors) should have their very own chat forum to bash out their views... :) I like reading both of your arguments, although some seem a little harsh.

Anyhow, (trying to be funny now) it might be better if you two didn't share your love for each other in public...

I look forward to the next retort and I am merely an innocent bystander :)

Mods, please delete, I decided not to get into this debate.

Last edited:
I think most of the rabbits, foxes mice and rats were brought in by europeans, which last time i checked included the irish and french.

I think most of the rabbits, foxes mice and rats were brought in by europeans, which last time i checked included the irish and french.

Only most of them? Were the rest brought by someone else?

IsK

It was less harsh than saying they all were, regardless of the fact.
I was trying not to be rude.

Funny you should bring this up Australis. It highlights quite aptly, that you've got no hope of bringing anything to the argument. Not once did i claim that the indigenous inhabitants of the country we know of as Australia were not responsible for some species extinction. But, once again, you can't produce any documentation of the amounts of species lost, nor the method through which they were exterminated. And considering the amount of time spent on the continent, and the amount of species which remained when european settlers arrived, its a pretty safe estimate that the amount lost are statistically insignificant.

Documented history is a wholly different concept. Considering the amount of fauna (and flora) inhabiting australia when it was "discovered", the amount which has been lost - WHICH IS DUE TO EUROPEAN IMMIGRANTS AND NO OTHER - is terrifying. Now considering that we have been here for a little over 200 years, and the anthropological evidence which has been found indicating there have been human inhabitants on the continent for over 40,000 years there is a single question (there are many more, but one glaring question) begs asking oh wise australis - Did any animal which became extinct during those 40,000 years become extinct purely due to the inhabitants, or was it due to environmental circumstance?

The answer is clear, that for the most part, human cause of extinction of fauna can be statistically ruled out over those 40,000 years.

A corollary also holds that european australians have been MOSTLY responsible for the extinction of the majority of australian species during their 200 year stint on the continent.

Oh wise australis please show us the error of our logic, and provide a statistically relevant amount of species, that human action wiped out over the continent over 40,000 years, and not just localised hunting which may have depleted populations of a species in certain localities.

The answer you are looking for is to take a look at the anthropological evidence of other nomadic peoples. Look at the way they use the resources they have without pushing them beyond the brink of extinction. The habits of native american peoples, african nomadic tribes, and the inhabitants of the chinese steppes region will give you a good starting point if you want to bother researching something to have a valid and reasoned opinion on something.

Last edited:
Junglist*,

Yes,
Species became extinct due to humans in Australia before the country was settled by Europeans.

"Funny you should bring this up Australis. It highlights quite aptly, that you've got no hope of bringing anything to the argument"

What arguemet? lol for the last time mate i never had a arguement about the bloody squid...lol

All i stated was humans were causing species extinction in Australia well before the Europeans came along, which is a known fact, i dont have to provide proof. if anyone doesnt think its true, they can look into it themselves, no skin off my nose, show me to be wrong....lol

"The answer you are looking for is to take a look at the anthropological evidence of other nomadic peoples. Look at the way they use the resources they have without pushing them beyond the brink of extinction"

Firstly im not looking for any "answers", and im aware of how nomadic people lived.

Remember that the Aboriginals came to Australia a land full of animals that hadnt evolved along side a predator such as man, nomadic or not, this is going to have a huge impact on some species, including extinction in some cases.

Off the top of my head one example for Australia would be the reptile species: megalania

And yes, not from "environmental circumstance" besides humans entering it...lol

So whats your take on it? seriously, your saying its false?and that no humans causes extinction in Australia before the Europeans arrived?

Anyways, you dont have to take my word for it....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back