Giant Squid Photographed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, timber is one of those resources which can continue to be harvested for may years to come as long as it is managed as a resource, and not stripped. whales too can be used ina similar fashion.

Junglist, would you agree with me if I claimed it ethical to cull certain groups of humans for the purpose of feeding the masses and for medical research? I mean there are certainly plenty of people to go around and as long as we manage the situation as a resource then our species should not become extinct. We could skim off of the poorer nations, using the flesh to feed the hungry and using the organs to help the sick.

The logical answer you should be formulating in your mind at the moment is of course "No that is rediculous." I ask you in that case, why should we use whales as a resource like that, or for that matter anything on the planet. The natural order of a predator is to kill what it needs to survive, and before you mention that animals do not eat everything they kill I will note that survival is based on more than just consumption. We as a species have no need to whales, or giants squid, we do it because of our foolish God complex. The same reason the mob will go hunting for a croc that ate some stupid tourist splashing about in its territory. We have this idea that we are the boss. But if anything we owe our entire lives of devoted work to protecting this planet and the species that live here, not to harvesting them as we see fit.

Not quite sure how the reference to the eradication of many native australian species by European settlers could possibly be racist. It is, 1) a documented fact and 2) hardly racist as i am myself, an Australian of European extraction.

Just because your of European extraction, doesnt rmean you cant be racist towards Europeans. You targeted Europeans as causing extinctions in Australia, so maybe you are just ignorant?

Ok, so the one spelling error you found was a typo, the others were more grammatical errors with respect to the lack of capitalisation of proper nouns. Really quite a small issue.

It wasnt a small issue when you had a go at someone for spelling suggesting they hadnt completed high school, was just funny.

When you've got a PhD, then you can talk to me about having education levels similar to mine

What does a PhD have to do with anything? I didnt even mention my level of education.

Can you name any species which became extinct as a direct result of human interaction before European settlement within the continent of Australia? You said it was a fact, how about some empirical data to go with it????.

I dont need to provide data, find your own.. i dont see you providing data for comments?

Yes i could name plenty of species, but why dont you look into it your self and educate yourself on it? you seem to think your level of education is above everyone else here...

Yet you often post uninformed rubbish, if you didnt know animals were becoming extinct (because of Humans) before Europeans settled Australia, you really dont know jack about species extinction in Australia.

I have no idea if this has been said yet..

The so called scientist seem more like fisherman in my eyes... they baited a hook with a diffrent speices of squid and enticed the squid with lights... when the squid took the bait they tried to haul it in... while hauling it they lost it for a second and there was some sort of struggle where the squid lost two tenticles.. by the time they sorted it out the squid was dead...

Did anyone else read this?

why is Japan involved in all this killing for science do other countries kill large animals for science.
I cannot see what science can do for animals that have been on this planet for yonks

Makes my woman smell and look good - she needs makeup :p

Tastes good in stew and is a great substitute for chicken (whale, the chicken of the sea)

There's too many of them anyway, slective culling just helps their populations along...
You for got "The're coming right for us!"

could i also say that the footage looks fake..

thinking about it i really dont think its real..

I cannot see what science can do for animals that have been on this planet for yonks
[/SIZE]

Usually, most of the research is done to benefit human beings, not the animals themselves. This might seem arrogant to some people, but it's the way science is at the moment. In my research I'm required to kill test subjects, and the information it can give me might allow humans to enjoy complete recovery from massive stroke, myocardial infaction, and any condition in which the human brain or other organ is deprived of oxygen for more than four minutes.

Is it worth it?
I don't know. I would hope it is.

bunch of racist comments on here and its disgusting, this squid died was not killed so get of your high horse, build a bridge and get over it.

as for the Nippon people eating it or whales? so what of it, they want to be able to famr the whales so that the population of whales is still there and they get some food.

if you have problems with this then stop eating meat because it is all kileld just so you can ingest it. and in fact stop eating salads and stuff to, yo uare taking away food from other animals.. so basically go kill yourself as so you may be comitted to the earth and leave this imperfect world and join your own little fantasy land!

bloody hippies!

I am a school teacher here in Cairns - and my year 9 science class was very interested to hear my opinions (which I force on them god bless their little hearts) on 'good science' vs 'unneserscary science'.

I explained about the article and the squid and how it was inadvertantly killed while trying to be captured all in the aid of study.

But yet, I explained to the class, I think that is bad science because as far as I am aware it didn't help the species or better humans in any way significantly.

I then reflected on what we're about to do with 40 toads - we're about to disect them. I asked how was that good science comparing to the squid... Most said 'the toads are pests sir" "They kill our native wildlife sir" "There's hundreds of millions of them sir" "If we study them we have a better chance of eradicating them" etc etc etc...

You know, I was pleased that without much prompting these boys could already see the difference between good science and bad science...

I am creating them in my own image... Now they've all gone home and killed a toad I'm sure! But I have made sure they kill them quickly and painlessly if they choose to do so (as they're boys, it's very hard to control the natural want to kill instinct, but easy to control the level of torture they put these animals through).

I may not have explained 'exactly' how or what was said in the class room and that may make this part of the thread a little hard to understand, but the jist is there.

There is hope for us yet... :)

bunch of racist comments on here and its disgusting, this squid died was not killed so get of your high horse, build a bridge and get over it.

as for the Nippon people eating it or whales? so what of it, they want to be able to famr the whales so that the population of whales is still there and they get some food.

if you have problems with this then stop eating meat because it is all kileld just so you can ingest it. and in fact stop eating salads and stuff to, yo uare taking away food from other animals.. so basically go kill yourself as so you may be comitted to the earth and leave this imperfect world and join your own little fantasy land!

bloody hippies!

Just remember how the whale is killed and how your cattle or lamb is killed... Two very different methods. One way i would even do, the other... I would suggest is only for the blood thirsty who like to watch people or animals in pain.

I don't believe anyone is on their high horse here, I would suggest most people here have very informed opinions and have not made racist comments - some comments were borderline admitidley...

Farmin whales is both impractical and impossible - they're not studying the 3000 (exact number unknown) whales they kill to farm them - it's pure harvest. And that is all there is to that. Th eneed to study these animlas dead is very much a 'bad science' see above... The need to conserve these animals in their niche environment is eqaully important as conserving our fish stocks for the next centuries to come.

Again, I don't believe many people in here are anti meat eaters, they're anti the way the several countries that choose to whale (including norway and iceland) go about it. The nescessity is needless.

The reason most fishing companies stopped drift netting was because of the outcry due to many mamal fatalities in the nets... Now peopel 'choose' to buy dolphin free tuna - maybe it is a label, maybe it's tokenism, but above all, people chose to do this - and that's what we're aiming for!

I have no idea if this has been said yet..

The so called scientist seem more like fisherman in my eyes... they baited a hook with a diffrent speices of squid and enticed the squid with lights... when the squid took the bait they tried to haul it in... while hauling it they lost it for a second and there was some sort of struggle where the squid lost two tenticles.. by the time they sorted it out the squid was dead...

Did anyone else read this?

Reprinting this for you Oskorei - did he fall or was he pushed?

Why do people freak out when one squid is killed? If the death of one individual of a very widespread and common species is so tragic, why is it not unbearably painful to know that there are countless butchers and fish mongers in the country? Why is it not horrific to know that every day there are zillions of animals dying in land clearing projects? (This actually does upset me greatly). When a zillion animals are wiped out to build a shopping centre/housing development/cane field/etc etc, it is absurd to spend time mourning the death of one common animal. If you actually care, don't sook and tell people that you're in love with dirt, get up and do the world a bit of good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back